Thursday, September 13, 2007

Show Wrap and More

Well put another glass show in the books… the final day of the show was slow and a few exhibitors were trying to skirt the rules and sneak out before closing time because there was just no action to be had. So final analysis was that the first day was “decent”, day 2 was solid bordering to good, and day 3 was forgettable. Next year the show goes back to Vegas, but the intrigue will be if the equipment guys and the foreign contingent will do this show in the same month as the gigantic glass show held every other year in Germany. Resources will be spread thin and so decisions will have to be made, which in turn will surely have an effect.

Elsewhere…..

-- Now that the show is done, the countdown can begin for the ultimate industry gathering- BEC. The annual BEC event, in Vegas, February 17-19, has an extremely strong agenda and great speakers. It is simply not an event to miss. More detail as we get closer.

-- I saw the new look and logo of the former AFG… Now known as AGC, I really was expecting more. Their logo is seriously generic, and their new ad, just featuring a blank white business card that looked like something that the nightshift at Kinko’s would make. Just baffling… you change your name and look, you want to make a splash… I mean I may not agree when Kawneer dropped its legendary blue look, but at least they have come with color and design…

-- Amazingly depressing article by Charles Cumpston from when an economist spoke at the show. If you missed it, click HERE. Basically this economist is echoing what I am hearing all over, that a recession is coming and 2009/2010 may not be very pretty. Plus if that wasn’t reminder enough, those of us still in Atlanta got to see in the local paper and big story on “Why talk of a recession” keeps happening. To read that, which is interesting, click HERE.

-- Football is off and running… which is great… and you get stories like this… Which NFL team is the most popular amongst women? Amazingly it is the black and gold of the Pittsburgh Steelers! Obviously they polled some very intelligent women….

-- And speaking of football, I had a few people ask me about my picks. See I am known as a horrible picker of games… in fact my brother and cousins have a nickname for me… “Mush” - it means whatever I pick, take the opposite. Anyway, to share my “Mushness” with you, each week I’ll give you my pick of the week. We’ll see how I do. My pick this week…. Cincinnati is favored by 7 over Clevelandtake the Bengals and run, the Browns are simply brutal. This actually seems too easy… so we’ll see if I am right or I am Mush.

Video of the week, as promised, Britney Spears absolute disaster of a performance last weekend. It is so bad, but you can’t take your eyes off of it, the true definition of “trainwreck”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't I read your lastest column before I submitted this week's survivor pool picks?? My family's picks were Pittsburgh & Cinci ... let's hope the mush jinx is off this week.

I was surprised to see a quarter page ad for AGC in Tuesday's Wall Street Journal ... not sure how much this expensive WSJ ad will help their branding efforts, but kudos for trying.

Max Perilstein said...

Are you serious about AGC having an ad in the WSJ? Wow... I think I am officially speechless!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very serious about the AGC WSJ ad. It was on the back of a back page of a section and I almost cut it out b/c I was so shocked to see it ... it even mentioned flat glass in smaller print.

How about Jane Skeeter's no-show seminar at the GlassBuild Show? I paid for the seminars to specifically (and only) see her talk on Decorative Glass. I was a bit disappointed with the first of the two replacement talks (I didn't stick around for the second speaker), but do recognize that they were put on the spot at the 11th hour.

I wonder if i can get a seminar refund for their false advertisement of Jane being the speaker?