Thursday, September 20, 2007

A great book, a bad pick, and Survivor in China

I guess this is calm after the storm… last week with the show, so much was happening. This week it’s mellow. So instead of a main story then a bunch of quick hitters, this week it’s only of the quick hit variety…

-- In case you missed it, there’s been some give and take on Pella/EFCO on a previous post. Including the name of the guy who I guess has been hired to take over the EFCO operation and some correspondence on the possible reduction of employees at EFCO. On that, it was posted a few times that EFCO had started to let people go, which I seriously find hard to believe. It is the busy season isn’t it? Regardless that has been a fascinating situation for sure.

-- If you are a member of NFRC and chances are if you read this blog, you are not, mostly because commercial glaziers and fabricators are not, then please vote in the upcoming election. Study the candidates and see which one will truly represent your needs and vote. As for the membership issue, its brings to mind yet another point… you gotta love that the NFRC, backed by the DOE, attempts to police an industry that most have no idea who they are. So it proves you can know nothing about what you’re getting into but if you have the right backing, in our world you can do whatever you want.

-- Did you see that the Architectural Billings Index came down to a more realistic level this week? That truly makes sense, the numbers previous were like funny money, just seemed way too out of the realm of reality. Now don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it, but I really have a hard time trusting any number or report coming out in and around our industry. Why? Because I have been apart of some of the methodology and I am telling you I just don’t think the science is there.

-- Speaking of science, I may donate my football brain to science after my MUSH pick of Cincy last week. I told you, I have a knack for picking the wrong team. Anyway this week’s pick of the week is… Green Bay +5 at home vs San Diego… I just think GB’s D is solid and Norv Turner is scary as a coach….

-- Book to read? “It’s Not About The Truth” by Don Yeager. It is the inside story of the Duke Lacrosse case where from last year where 3 Duke Lacrosse players were accused of rape and were pretty much convicted in the court of public opinion. Simply riveting, especially when you see how a rogue DA pushed forward a case without even KNOWING the evidence or interviewing the accuser. Just amazing stuff.

-- Video of the week is the preview of one of my favorite shows… Survivor… which spends this season in CHINA of all places! Dang wish I coulda sent a “SAY NO TO CHINA” pin to one of the contestants…. Should be interesting to see if they ruin the show buying into the communist propaganda…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo - impressive pick with Green Bay over San Diego!!

Max Perilstein said...

thanks... its the blind squirrel theory!