Monday, September 10, 2007

Glass Show Day 1

Quick notes from day 1 at the GlassBuild Show...

-- Attendance seemed sparse to decent. Sections of the show were empty- but its day 1- so I will with-hold further judgment.

-- I will tell you the people who pre registered and did not have their badge sent to them were bummed because the line was super long to pick up your badge on site. It just looked like their were a lot less stations available to produce the on site badges or the people doing it were struggling, but people in line were grumbling.

-- Typical hall set up- though the aisles are short but very wide. Feet will hurt because nothing is close in Atlanta or at this show.

-- I am amazed at major companies who come to this show to make a splash. Especially the ones who everyone knows. I mean do you really think there's a glass shop or glazier who walks into Oldcastle's gigantic starship enterprise looking booth and says: "Hey never heard of y'all- can I buy glass from you?" I mean shouldn't they have/know every customer by now? See I think the approach of EFCO and Viracon made more sense... smaller, simpler booths that were a place where their customers could find them. But end of day, what do I know... wait don't answer that.

-- The SAY NO TO CHINA pins are starting to populate on the floor. Tomorrow will see more I am sure. I did get more than a few looks from the Chinese vendors... the looks were more confused than anger. Though I rode the elevator in the hotel with a gal who stared at my pin and then gave me the dirtiest look I have seen ever.

-- Thumbs up to the ton of food options on the floor, usually a disaster at an Atlanta show. Thumbs down, 2 chicken sandwiches and 2 waters... 24 bucks. Ouch. I think I am in the wrong business.

-- Saw the guys from Technoform, which is a solid company by the way, since they are making materials that are positive for energy efficiency (which we like)and because both Milind and Dave read this blog. Thanks for reading guys and keep up the good work.

-- I never saw the jars and glass containers.... I wonder what happened to that. If you don't know what I am talking about, a few months back it was announced that their would be a pavilion at the show for the glass containers... I of course made fun of it on this blog.... I guess the idea was too comical to be true eh?


So we'll see what Day 2 brings....

No comments: