Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Super Blog?

Its Super Bowl week, so in honor, I can jump on board and make my Blog the official Glass Industry Super Bowl Blog. Yep I'm reaching aren't I?

Anyway on to what's happening out there...

- It was a big news week, and one of the biggest items was the announcement that Eric Rapp is joining AFG. Or is AGC NA (more on that below). Anyway, move wise this is a coup for AFG/AGC NA as Eric Rapp is one of most talented people in our
Industry. I've only had the honor of talking with him on a couple of occasions, but I've always come away better. Good man with a humungous job ahead of him. Best of Luck Eric.

- Speaking of AFG, I missed that they announced in December that they are changing their name to AGC NA. AGC stands for Asahi Glass Company, which is the ownership group behind what was AFG. Funny thinking back to the mid 90's, I produced a customer news letter for our company and I noted that we used LOF Low E and not Asahi Low E. Well my brother got a phone call from Jim Bradford, who was the head of AFG at the time, kindly asking us to stop. Well 10+ years later and the term Asahi Low E is here. This move is more baffling then Kawneer's logo change. At least Kawneer still is known as Kawneer. Now all of the ads and marketing that was done as AFG is worthless and confusing. Plus how many people will start confusing AGC and ACH (Formerly Visteon)? It’s another end of an era, as when I started you had Guardian, PPG, LOF, Ford and AFG... and now only the first two listed are still known by those names. But no harm, as anyone who reads specs these days know, AFG can join Spectrum, Hordis, Polar Pane, Cesar and the many other companies that either don't exist or were consolidated into others but still are listed.

- I wonder how many people caught the note on USGNN about the Montreal library that had glass falling from it. The story is amazing from the fact that instead of fixing the problem, the library is just going to build some awnings around it to catch the falling glass! Their reason:

Replacing the thousands of glass strips -- each about half the size of a small bedroom door -- with other tempered glass panels would cost "two or three years of work and several million dollars," she said.

But she said that would not reduce the risk of breakage.


What am I missing here? This simply makes no sense. The article goes on to say that 30% of the glass is at risk because "it does not meet the National Standard for tempered glass" So instead of getting the root core of this problem and figuring out what is wrong all the way around, we'll just put up an awning to protect us from broken glass? How come I never have bad jobs go this way for me? Seriously though, if someone can explain to me the reasons behind this, please do. The entire article is here if you want to read and scratch your head along with me:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070125.MONTREAL25/TPStory/National

- OK enough of the heavy stuff- let's talk football...

Before I get to my Super Bowl, pick, as a Steeler fan, there's only a few more days until either the Colts or the Bears take the stage as the latest and greatest Super Bowl champs- so in honor of the 2006 Steelers, this week's video pick is a tribute to that team. (Made before they beat Seattle in SuperBowl XL, but great music, so that's why I like it) So bottom line- if you like the Steelers click the video- if not, I'll find good comedy for next week.




As for the game... my pick... take Manning and the Colts... this is their year... Plus Tony Dungy will school his protégé Lovie Smith making all the right calls to figure out the vaunted Bears D in the 2nd half. Final score 30-16 Indy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Friday.

How could you miss the AFG to AGC anouncement. Actually, it was pretty easy to miss. Now as far as making sense.....if you look at the change from a global perspective, the consolidation of all the different Asahi subsiduaries...it does make a little more sense. Not sure if that is a good thing for AFG though.

Pilkington did the same a few years back and now I wonder how long until that name slips into oblivion. I Believe NSG is sincere about NOT changing the name ...for now.

Now to the heart of the whats happening......I have lived in the USA for over 20 years and still cannot get used to seeing grown men in full body armor while wearing tights. Where I come from football is soccer and "real men" play rugby.... without all that protective stuff. Although I must admit it was fun to watch the after game interviews, see who is first to remember their name and see if any one had "miss-placed" an ear in a scrum.

Go Bolts.......