Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Lawyers and Insurance Companies- Oh Joy!

Earlier this week USGNN ran an article written by a lawyer from Florida for his local paper on the upcoming push to have all condos put in hurricane resistant material. This statute would even include existing condos in making them get up to speed to properly protect their property. Parts of the article I agreed with- I can't stand insurance companies and what they did in Florida after the last natch of hurricanes (and especially in Mississippi and Louisiana) was criminal. People paid good money for many years to these companies and when they needed them the most, the insurance giants pleaded poverty or left town all together. In Florida's case, the insurance industry basically bugged out, forcing thousands into terrible situations- some that were mentioned in the piece. However where he loses me is at the end when he complains about these statutes being pushed for the profit motive of the impact material providers. Now that's comical! With all due respect to Kim Mann, who is my all time favorite lawyer, since when can a lawyer complain about someone else's profit motives! Last I look we don't bill by the call/e-mail/minute like some of our nation's finest legal eagles. But seriously, I love the argument that protecting property with superior material is bad because maybe, just maybe another hurricane won't come through. Anyway the column has more than a few holes and I could go on and on- but instead, if you missed it click here and read and react. I may take this on in more detail next week.. or maybe not.

Elsewhere...

- My brother is in Las Vegas at the Kitchen and Bath Show and he reported the frustrating sight of rows and rows of Chinese companies showing their wares. While the Delta's and Kohler's may be the leaders, the communists are growing here to and as evidenced by my brother they are taking a very large footprint in trying to take a bite out of that industry too.

- Speaking things Chinese related- I watched the documentary Wal Mart - The High Cost of a Low Price this weekend. All I can say is wow. When your done with that one you really find it difficult to ever shop there again. While obviously the piece was slanted, it brought up some amazing points regarding Wal Mart's version of health care and their predatory efforts in the small markets that they some times look to move into. An interesting rental none the less.

- More proof of "Green" growth. Just out this week, a declaration that 80 schools on the books to be built in California by 2012 will meet some sort of Green certification. You think we can start with non VOC emitting paint?

- Lastly, lost in the shuffles of so many other items in my life, is the upcoming GANA CGEC meeting in Atlanta. This 2 day conference is for project managers from the glazing side of the business and has a very strong agenda. Unfortunately it is next Thursday and Friday, so not a lot of heads up. So if your signed up, you'll enjoy, if not and you can make plans on short notice- go for it. I gotta do a better job of keeping my calendar of events!

The video of the week comes from one of my wife's favorite channels. Its one of the Home Shopping Channels and our guy is trying to show how to use their new ladder... and he is just not real coordinated....




Oh and since I know my mom actually checks this blog... Happy Mothers Day Mom and a special Happy Mother's Day and congrats to Tara Taffera of DWM and my first editor at USGlass. She just had baby number 3 this past week... hope Mom and baby and entire family are well!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re : Chinese presence at the KBS show

Max,

On the positive side, all the chinese exhibitors, based in China i.e. not operating from USA or Canada, were all grouped together in a "ghetto", referred to as the Chinese Pavillion. Believe me the traffic was much less there.

I tought it was one wise way to "level the playing field" ....

Marc

Max Perilstein said...

Yes great point.. and their booth's according to my brother were appropriate for the "ghetto" they were in... shoddily built through and through.

Thanks for the post!