Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mail Bag Time

With this blog growing at such an amazing pace, I’ve been remiss in answering some of the great, interesting and critical comments I have been getting sent to me. While I have personally replied to each one, I think that some of these excerpts deserve airing out in this forum.

So here goes…

So what’s the real story behind the Oldcastle-Cardinal suit?

Quite honestly I have no clue, and after the initial story on USGNN last week, no other news has come out whatsoever. I had several people give me some theories on what the details are, but some of them were even too outlandish for me to run with! Probably the thing that is really confusing everyone is that Cardinal is a residential side supplier (no matter how much they may protest that, it is the truth) and OC is obviously mainly commercial. So the fact that these two play in virtually different pools end user wise, makes it all more baffling.

The articles from China this last week made me want to puke. I can only imagine how pissed you were.

I guess I am beyond the “pissed” mode. I just think it’s amazing that so many people will want to support this angle that can be so detrimental to our lives. Probably the most upsetting was this column (click here) and the line that really made me go nuts.

"We started out with tempered glass, but now we do a lot of pattern glass and some laminated glass," he said. According to Deng, the company has a technical agreement with PPG. (Emphasis mine)

Wonderful. I mean its been well stated here PPG’s support of China, and with now having three certified fabricators there and also helping them technically, they continue to feed, clothe, and bathe the enemy. I’ll put it this way, by empowering the communist Chinese with knowledge, all that is happening is speeding up the process of putting more North Americans and North American companies out of business. By the time PPG figures this out they’ll have sold their glass division anyway, so does anyone over there care?


I am lost on this whole “green” thing, it just seems like a scam to me.

I can see how people may feel that way, its not the easiest explained set up and glass and aluminum really do take a backseat to waterless urinals and bike racks. But bottom line is “green” living is here to stay and it’s the focus of virtually every decision-maker out there. In fact did you see that all New York City cabs will go “green” by 2012? To me that’s an amazing point proving that green is here to stay and more. Now the big question is, did they mean every cab will use “green” fuel avenues or will every passenger turn “green” from the wild/smelly/bizarre ride they encounter inside the cab.


Have you seen the ad’s that AAMA has been running lately?

Yes I have seen them and they fascinate me. Its funny, someone over there must’ve realized that during this whole NFRC adventure that AAMA’s reputation was basically damaged beyond belief. When the NFRC thing bowed its head, we’d go to customers and explain to them what was happening. A majority replied along the lines of “Well if its like an AAMA thing we’re not worried” so that was strike one. Strike two is that AAMA actually does work for the NFRC, so a lot of us view AAMA as willing to allow the NFRC to do whatever they want, because they don’t want to lose their gig. (And I have been told that AAMA’s deal with NFRC precludes them from competing with NFRC). So what you are left with is an organization that has no teeth, and is trying to re-establish relevance in a marketplace that is very leery right now about policing and certification groups. All that said, I don’t think AAMA will be inviting me to speak anytime soon- but it is what it is.


Why do you worry about China so much and not about India? They are helping kill our auto industry white collar by taking all of the engineer and call center jobs.

I guess your second part is partly my answer. Right now glass wise India is no where even close to China. What I don’t get is why China doesn’t just set up shop in India. But as for the reasons, its simple, the communist Chinese push is on here, mainstream companies and projects are using them, so obviously that’s the focus. If that’s shortsighted then so be it.

What’s your call on the Stanley Cup?

Its going to be an interesting series, very contrasting styles. Anaheim has those big space clogging Defensemen, while Ottawa has those skilled quick scorers. I think it comes down to the Goaltending though and for that I like the Ducks to win in 6. Plus I was told by friends at Trulite that people from Toronto (and Leaf fans in general) never root for Ottawa, so I have to stand behind them on that.

Which Presidential candidate will be best for trying to stem the China stuff?

More research needs to be done on this, and I will answer this one more in depth in the coming weeks. I think it’s an issue that both parties need to have answers on that’s for sure.

With your travels is the economy good, bad, ugly- what do you see?

Pockets of the country are doing well, most are decent and Michigan is simply disastrous. I did see a note online that shows that 2008 the residential window side will start upticking soon. How come I have a feeling that the large window guys have a clock ticking backwards to 08 in anticipation of that? Regardless the salad days of 2005 on that side of the industry is loooooong gone.


Ok that's it for this week... our video comes from the world of TV news and the classic no microphone on the reporter, but the best is the look of the guy holding the new mic. Enjoy.


2 comments:

surmasco said...

Okay Max, I can somewhat sympathize with your concerns about China but I wonder if you're trying to give PPG too much of a black eye? The Chinese are utilizing all sorts of glass technologies & alliances from around the world (e.g. who invented the float glass process?) and PPG isn't the only big glass guy with strong ties to both the U.S. and China. I don't need to fight these big companies battles for them, especially when they employ smarter people then me.

How about a blog entry "From the Fabricator" asking … How best for the North American glass industry to manage & benefit from the growing presence of the Chinese glass industry in North America?

I think the above would be an approach that we as an industry could grab hold of vs. say pure protectionism or trying to get the Chinese to let their currency float with the market; although, hopefully our government keeps on them about this without losing sight of our free trade philosophies.

Thank You for creating "awareness" about the Chinese plays at hand b/c people should be informed. Now let's talk about what we can do to leverage the Chinese glass influence to make our North American companies stronger so we can grow our businesses, increase our standards of living, add more value!, etc.

Max Perilstein said...

Thanks for the post...

And yes it sure looks like my focus is missing the other main player in the Chinese debacle and that's Pilkington. Here's the difference, at least Pilks may have a modicum of control of what goes in China since they actually OWN a piece of the company over there. Unlike PPG who just sells it's technology and recipes in a mercenary style.
And yes while Pilks may not police it's Chinese brother very well, at least they are a responsible owner overall- and maybe they'll have input in the future. Plus at the end of the day, I think Pilks will be a heck of a lot more vigilant in protecting its North American turf too.

I hear what you are saying otherwise, but I do not want to welcome them or figure out how to manage with them because to me that's a defeatist attitude. The next thing you know our industry will look like the industries throughout the Carolina's that are now gone.. thanks to the communist Chinese.
But at the end of the day your approach is probably the better one than mine, I just am not ready to accept that.

Anywy, I respect your point of view and hope that some day we can reach a happy medium for all.