Monday, May 07, 2007

Wrapping Up AIA 2007

Well 2007's version of the AIA show is now history... and the next show on tap was the aforementioned GlassBuild America in September. (If you missed that post, its a few below this one- and it features witty banter on the new inclusion of glass bottles and jars to the show floor)

As for the AIA wrap....

- Rumors about next years show floor being worse and the show and seminars being in separate buildings is false. The show floor will be the traditional rectangle with an up/down flow. However there's not a lot of hotels around this convention center, so get ready to ride some buses! And as was noted elsewhere on the net, somehow riding a big gas guzzling bus is not exactly the greatest "green" example.

- I did get to ask several architects about the NFRC's commercial plans. And as expected none of them knew a thing about it. Tellingly all felt that their AIA documents clearly cover their specifications in a court of law and were not interested in extra steps or costs. Especially in light of all of them chasing LEED points, as one told me "I need more hurdles like that like I need a hole in the head" Amen brother. I did tell that specific architect he controls it as the famous quote from NFRC Board Member Gary Curtis, made in Atlanta 2005- "if the architects don't buy into this, we can shut off the lights and go home" and his comment was "Shut 'em off"

- A tough scene for me at the airport on Sunday as I watched a young soldier leave his wife at the gate. He was heading eventually back to Iraq and it was a very emotional scene. He was probably no more than 20. His wife was crying steadily, not hysterical, but close and it really was a tough one to deal with. So no matter how you feel about the war, there is no question that the soldiers deserve our support and prayers and their families back here at home deserve the same.

- On the plane home it was filled with architects who just attended. Made me think that its a matter of time before AIA starts to allow chartered flights and you can give CEU's on the flight down. Now that would be a captive audience! Can you imagine an architect having to not avoid you for 3 solid hours? Amazing! And no believe it or not, I did not attempt to bother any of these folks on my flight home- I was tempted though- as the principal of one of the biggest firms of the US was sitting across from me, but I decided to let him be.


The video and more industry news on my regularly scheduled post later this week.

No comments: