Sunday, March 29, 2020

The Meaning of Essential

One of the things we learned this past week is we all now know what the definition of “essential” is.   Garret Henson of Viracon actually gave this thought to me, and he deserves the props for pointing it out.  Obviously we all have felt what we do is essential and that we provide an incredible and very important building product.  However for years we had always been beaten down either in the codes or by random glass bashing articles.  Now during this time of crisis we get our answer and in a majority of cases (including New York before the bigger shutdown Friday) we are deemed “essential.”  (And yes you party poopers out there I know its mostly “construction” as essential but we do have some specific cases- especially float plants- that are officially “essential”)

The tough thing unfortunately was even getting that recognition didn’t mean business could progress.  Other factors including job site and workforce availability were/are big issues that many in our industry are dealing with on a daily/hourly basis.  States now forcing shutdowns are another.  But I’m going to take this notice of “essential” and count it as a win.  I mean at times like this you gotta look for the wins and positivity right?  

Oh and by the way, for when we as a world emerge from this crisis, I think glass is positioned to be a major benefactor.  We have a great, clean product and one that has a lot more benefits than people realize.  Those advantages will come very clear on the other side. (My project of the week is a good example)  I look forward to getting there… and hopefully sooner than later. 

Elsewhere…

I have been attempting to keep this blog less focused on the virus but I do need to point a few things out.

--  The #NGAalerts on LinkedIn have been amazing.   I was honored to provide one about staying in touch and I have enjoyed and learned from all the others.  If you have something you want to share, let the folks at NGA know (or ping me and I’ll get you connected!)  When this whole thing started I stressed communication was a key and it is absolutely a must.

--  In addition now would be the time with workforces being on the lighter side to do extra training.  MyGlassClass is loaded and ready.  The courses are tremendous.  Use this time for good!!

--  Ok now to the lighter side… and reviewing the Glass Magazine Top Fabricator issue.  I mentioned a few weeks ago the actual Top Fabricator list which is super.  But this issue has some good nuggets in there as well with articles by Marco Terry on Profits and the Family Business as well as my man Joe Erb of Quanex talking about “Do’s and Don’ts on the Factory Floor.”  Again a loaded issue with info and resources, so get it, read it, and grow!

--  On the Ad of the Month award… I’m going to an old friend and one of the best in our world- Rob Struble at Vitro Architectural Glass.  The ad that adorns the back cover is fantastic.  The job photo is a showstopper.  Just stunning and beautiful.  Love the color scheme, layout, and headline.  Nice job Rob and the folks at Vitro on this ad!

--  Guy jumps head first through a glass door to rob a store- look at this story- it’s missing some key needs for me including a better picture of the scene.  It looks like maybe the door was knocked off the hinges vs. glass breaking.  Anyway it’s a release from the daily news to look at this and try to figure out- what happened?

--  Last this week two projects that make our industry look great and I’d love to know what companies were involved- you deserve props!! – First is the The Charles Library at Temple University.  Man it is nice.  And second one is this retrofit in Boston where glass was the clutch and THE key product refreshing a building from 1917!  Great work to whomever was involved in these…

LINKS of the WEEK

Wow I’m getting old.  Eminem now considered a “boomer”

The college admissions scandal keeps going…

Honestly surprised this hasn’t happened more with the way folks can be easily frustrated on a plane.

PROJECT of the WEEK

When I say I really think glass is going to grow I look at awesome jobs like this one from Paragon out of Miami, FL.  Stairs, floor, handrails.  All beautiful glass.  This project is in Arizona and I spotted on their Instagram feed.  The owners at Paragon, Max Hals and Ian Patlin are friends of mine and I love seeing their sophisticated work in action.  Well done gentlemen!  









No comments: