Saturday, August 03, 2019

It's for GLAZIERS Too!

Curious on what everyone else thinks on this… Obviously by now you all know I am all about GlassBuild, the show has been a client of mine for years, so of course I am going to be in heavy promo mode.  Anyway had someone tell me they are not coming to GlassBuild because “GlassBuild is a machinery show and there’s nothing for the glazier.”  That threw me because I know better but I think not enough people in our world do.  GlassBuild is the ultimate annual show for EVERYTHING in our industry.  Yes machinery has a big and impressive part, but there is so much more to it and for the glazier… well there’s a massive amount of growth and opportunity waiting at every turn. 
A glazier coming to GlassBuild allows you to OWN your supply chain.  Everyone you need is either exhibiting or walking the floor.  Every single item that a glazier uses on a daily basis will have multiple supply groups there to talk to… how can you pass that up?  Then you look at the technology with lifting and labor?  (Folks like Smartlift, Ergo, Sydercrane, Quttrolifts etc. my gosh its impressive who is there!) Everyone wants more efficiency in the field and GlassBuild has those answers… on the floor thanks to many different excellent exhibitors.  How about software for estimating or project managing?  Check.  And how about if you want to see how these technologies work?  It’s all there either in an exhibit or at the Action Demos.  Put the seminars and speeches on top and you have EVERYTHING you need to grow and advance your business.    So I turn to you dear readers… doesn’t this seem to be enough to get a glazier to the show?  Should I try a different path?

Elsewhere…

--  Big congrats to old friend Michael Schmidt on his new position at Glaston.  Very excited to see what he’ll do with the vast product lines at his fingertips and I look forward to standing in line to see him at all the shows.  I say this because there is always a crowd around Michael at the shows…

--  Also congrats out to the folks at AAMA and IGMA for their news on the combination of those organizations.   A lot of very good people involved there and I expect this be a positive for the industry.

--  And last this week before the Big 3 interview, one more set of Congrats – this to the fine men and women who achieved AGMT Glazier Certification.  Our industry now has 177 newly certified professionals and that is an excellent start in that process!  Kudos to the folks behind AGMT for tireless work in getting this going.

Big 3 Interview- Michael Blackmore, President, Ballistic Glass and Armor Solutions

I believe this may be the first interview I have done with someone I have not met in person yet.  But after I saw the video embedded below, I just had to reach out and interview.  Security and protective glazing is a growth area and I truly admire men like Michael who are determined to protect lives and property.  Fascinating guy and I look forward to meeting him person some day… but until then you gotta watch this video and then check out the interview- it is a fun one!


Your videos- where you stand behind your product are super.  How did you come up with the idea to do this and did you have any fear at all in the product not holding up?

The idea to do the “shoot me” videos was simply an “old school” approach to business that is the core of our approach to everything. We only put products on the market that we know will work… every time. I couldn’t think of a better way to communicate that... so I said… “Shoot me.” As far as fear... I was petrified…but not for the reason you may think. I knew our products would reject the rounds, I didn’t flinch when the shots were fired. I was petrified that the cameras wouldn’t capture the event on first take. It had taken 12 hours to setup the stage as a shooting booth…. And we didn’t have time to re-set for a second take. Thank God, the cameras worked fine.

Your company has a very strong relationship with law enforcement organizations all over the country.  How has that helped you and BGAS as you develop protective products for the glass industry?

Thank you for recognizing that. We absolutely support the “Thin Blue Line” the vast majority of law enforcement is comprised of exceptionally good and committed individuals. Unfortunately, this sometimes gets lost when the spotlight is directed at the rare “bad apples” in this community.
Having good relationships with law enforcement has definitely helped our efforts. We were honored to be chosen for all ballistic aspects of the NYPD Times Square Station and BGAS is the specified supplier for all ballistic glazing, framing, doors, and walls for NYPD in all five boroughs.
Law enforcement relationships are particularly important in rural America. Whenever a concern develops there, (bank, utility payment centers, check cashing, pawn shop, school, car dealer… and of course government buildings, and the police station), the first call made is to the police chief to take him/her for a cup of coffee to see what they think. This leads to an invitation for BGAS to consult and help develop the RIGHT solution to defeat the threat they are concerned about. (Forced entry., pistols, all rifles, and even blast and explosions).

Looking back to when you were a kid or teen, what did you initially want to be when you grew up?  Did you ever think you’d be protecting people and saving lives with products you invented and/or innovated?

What did I want to be? Well… I rode my first bull in a rodeo when I was 14, and turned professional at 17. That is a young man’s sport and I retired at 21.
It is a long journey from the rodeo arena to our state of the art glazing plant in Addison, TX and fabrication plants in Oklahoma.
I will tell you Max… it is very rewarding pursuing our primary objective of “saving lives and protecting assets” …. And providing out clients with true peace of mind.

LINKS of the WEEK


We all want 10,000 steps a day right?  But who set this goal and is it right?  Good read here.

Big story this week on a wild way to pay less for college… by giving up custody of your kids…

VIDEO of the WEEK

If you have not seen the Bruce Buffer video yet for GlassBuild check it out here… It is a hoot!!  Seriously watch it- I wish I had his energy!


No comments: