Sunday, August 25, 2019

Deeper Dive

In my last post the initial theme was the rough waters of the economy starting to stir.  Since then the drumbeat from overall forecasts have been on that same path but of course much louder and in some cases more negative.  Right now we have two angles in play.  One is that this softening we are having is temporary and was expected and predicted earlier this year.  It will clear up and 2020 will be a solid year.  The other is that so much has changed with regards to imports and other economic factors that we are headed for a longer drop.  So, here’s where I am right now… first and foremost I try and stay away from the overall noise politically and try and focus on the data.  And I focus on the analysts that I trust.  What I am seeing is the softness creeping in now and will be with us for a few months, but the metrics I follow are all showing growth moving into 2020.  Starts are solid and look to stay that way for a bit.  Residential is scuffling though and that is a real concern but there’s been some positive data about the future there so we may not see that slow down last and then affect the commercial business a year after. As we know when residential drops, commercial follows a year later, so while we are in a danger zone right now residentially I am not ready to call it yet.  And as I have noted many times before…  this is the time where you have to ramp up the communication, where you have to prepare for the worst, and where you have to start enacting those plans to diversify your business. 

So those of you who know me now know what I am going to say… it is more important than ever to get to GlassBuild this year.  With all of this hanging out there, missing this show and all that comes with it would be a brutal move.  I know most who read my blog are coming to the show, but if you are on the fence or know someone who is- push em off on to the side of attending!  More people there means more educated folks in the market and hopefully a smarter approach to whatever economic adventure we are about to face.

Elsewhere…

So this blog starts heavy and as you’ll see below ends heavy, so in the middle I wanted something light.  The annual ranking of the 50 best and worst airports is out and I am pretty fired up.  As a road warrior I feel like I have this racquet down, but I guess I am not yet on same page as the experts.  How about all of you?
Best Airports:
1-    San Diego- Ok it’s a good airport-and a great city- but the best?  No way.  There is no available places to plug in your phone and limited places to eat.  It may be my favorite vacation spot but not my favorite airport.
2-    Phoenix- Are you kidding me?  No way.
3-    Portland- I’m floored.  Nice airport but not 3rd OA
4-    Atlanta- Hey it’s the busiest airport in the world now- I have no issues with it ranked here as they actually do amazing given the size and traffic
5-    Sacramento- I have never flown in or out of there- so no idea

Worst:
46- Southwest Florida International- Its small but is it the 5th worst in US?  No way
47- Detroit- OK I am ready to fight these people.  Old Detroit was the worst by far- new?  No way.  Clean. Bright.  Tons of food and power options.  Easy to get around.  Sorry this is so wrong.  This is a top 5 airport and better than Phoenix and Portland by miles.
48- Fort Lauderdale- I actually agree with this one.  Especially with construction everywhere it is a bear.
49- Orlando- Pretty darn bad but there are worse than this being next to last
50- Chicago Midway- Yes this ranking has them dead last.  It’s not a good airport but the true worst airport in the US is EASILY Newark.  How that that is not in the bottom five or last is unreal.  Also LaGuardia is misery right now- that could also be last.  Philly is a brutal airport- that is undoubtedly bottom 5.

On the ones that should be tops? Dulles is awesome.  Minnesota is very good.  Cincinnati is a super smaller airport- quiet and comfortable. Dallas Love impressed me last time in.  It may be time we have our own “Best and Worst” Poll

Last this week… I was incredibly saddened by the news that Bill Keen of TEPCO Glazing passed away.  Bill was one of those guys who always was positive and friendly, tremendous resource of info and insight.  Bill was also one of the folks at the GANA BEC level that showed massive support my way when I first got involved.  I will always be grateful that he showed me such kindness and direction.  My condolences to his family and friends.  We’ve lost yet another tremendous talent and great human.

LINKS of the WEEK

Hulk Hogan just is always in some sort of adventure online.  This one probably got a guy fired.

Love this… great stuff and this should catch the attention of my pal Andrew Haring who is a great supporter of Women in Construction

City planning at its finest… or NOT

VIDEO of the WEEK

In case you missed it… some of the most talented women in our industry added their thoughts to why they are going to GlassBuild.  Another set of excellent reasons why attending makes so much sense. 


No comments: