Sunday, October 14, 2018

Going Slower?

So last week’s blog brought a lot of conversation… first I heard from many that the quiet period post GlassBuild was spooky and they were experiencing it as well.  Though incredibly this week things started to break free and the rumor mill went into overdrive with a lot of tantalizing possibilities that probably will never come true.  Regardless it was like a seal was removed from the jar and communication started up again.  However one piece of scary news…   I heard from several people this week that there is a worry that we are headed for a slower than expected year next year in the glass industry.  None of the metrics that we follow support this concern, (or none of the details I gained at GlassBuild) but I have to say I found it odd and yet compelling that this fear exists.  Possibly the rough waters the US stock market experienced mid week started this or the fact that many bigger companies are strategically planning 2019 right now and possibly they don’t see things as positive as others.  I did follow up and talk to a few other folks to ask what t hey thought and they are still very bullish on the next year.  In any case this was an interesting carry over from things being “quiet” for me….

Elsewhere….

--  By the way the Dodge Momentum Index went down in September so maybe that is playing into possible concerns… even with it down now, it still does not match to all of the metrics going into 2019 at this point- but we’ll obviously pay attention.  By the way the next Architectural Billings Index comes out October 24th.  I will be on the floor at glasstec so hopefully I’ll catch it and tweet it out with any initial opinions.

--  Speaking of glasstec… that kicks off next week in Dusseldorf, Germany.  I am excited to once again attend and I am look forward to seeing what’s new on the international stage.   Also will be a good time to take the temperature of the attendees and exhibitors on the market too.  I will have some initial thoughts on my post next week, which if the Wi Fi there cooperates will be posted from the hall in Dusseldorf. 

--  By the way the other item from last week that brought A LOT of discussion my way were the airport rankings!  The most contentious was my appreciation for the Atlanta airport.  I heard an earful on that one…. I also heard that I was too rough on Orlando and way too positive on Seattle.  Las Vegas and Minnesota also were discussed- again picking on my positivity there… I think it may be time to do a full-fledged piece on this and get some more insight from all…

--  Good piece on 4 cutting edge technologies that are changing the construction industry.  I see the growth in all of these areas and many people within our industry are taking advantage of the innovation….

--  Coming up next month the beginning of Glass Industry MVP season… I have been keeping a list and monitoring the potential candidates, but if you have someone you think should be recognized in this race, by all means shoot me a note.

--  Last this week… I am sports fan, used to be a bigger one, but I still do enjoy following it.  Anyway baseball is moving quickly towards to the World Series and there’s a pretty cool bet going on between some industry heavyweights… Dan Pompeo is one of the best manufacturers reps out there and he’s a die-hard Boston Red Sox fan… he’s got a friendly wager with Javier Sanchez Gil, Director of Sales and Operations at Cristacurva in Houston- who happens to a big time Houston Astro fan.  In the American League Championship Series the Red Sox are taking on the defending champion Astros.  If Dan’s Sox win, Javier will have to sport a Sox shirt and share on social media… and if Javier’s guys deliver, Dan will have to wear gear… Personally… seeing Dan in a bright orange Astro shirt may be worth rooting for Houston in this one…  Sorry Dan!  Either way should be a good series and same with the LA-Milwaukee one in the National.

LINKS of the WEEK

The self destructing painting… I obviously don’t get art because I wouldn’t pay $14 for that picture let alone 1.4 mil. 

Lizards like this are not supposed to be in Michigan.  Yikes.

The “Wow” story of the week. 

VIDEO of the WEEK

This trailer made its debut during last week’s Thursday Night Football game… the Live Action version of… Aladdin!  Coming next May… Trailer does not tell you much but I am guessing its going to be good- then again I am living in a major Disney household too….



No comments: