Sunday, August 28, 2016

Catching Up On Green and More

This past week GANA held it’s Fall Conference in Kansas City and as always with events like these there’s a great deal of information and education (as well as primo networking) available.  So a few takeaways from that event…

--  If you haven’t heard the acronyms LCA or EPD, get ready, you will certainly be hearing more from them and about them in the future.  LCA stands for Life Cycle Analysis and EPD is for Environmental Product Declarations.  This is a trend that started a few years ago that boasts more transparency in a products environmental make-up.  Green building rating systems are a driver of it but so are architects and building owners.  Mark Silverberg of Technoform, who always leads thoughtful discussions on serious energy issues was great in taking the audience through the options.  This will be an area to watch.  But I will also throw it out to you my dear readers- are you seeing LCA or EPD in your specifications? 

--  Also in the same session that discussed the LCA/EPD, Dr. Tom Culp gave some updates on the various code and ratings bodies.  The push to be sustainable seems to getting more organized with two groups combining standards and I liked the fact that one standard has an angle that really promotes the use of dynamic glazing.  As anyone who knows me, knows I am a fan of that technology, so seeing it the approach here was a daymaker. 

--  In addition I learned that the NFRC hired a consulting firm to among other things “help them understand the commercial manufacturers value chain and what will encourage them to adopt the program”  Seriously.  I was among many who told  them these things way back in 2004.  I was mocked and villified as I wrote, debated, argued that the commercial world was different.  And in the end so much of what our industry tried to teach them was ignored.  Amazingly in the end they could’ve saved themselves a ton of money and resources if  they would’ve listened.  Oh well.  And despite this move I do not believe they’ll ever really want to understand the commercial world. 

--  The conference featured a tour of the AGC Float Glass facility in Spring Hill, Kansas.  For me it was the 7th float plant I have toured and I still learned new things.  The AGC folks really did a tremendous job with this effort, the plant was spotless and impressive.  Major thanks to Gus Trupiano of AGC for setting this up. 

--  Kansas City also featured some great glass and glazing viewing.  Really unique buildings, excellent usage of glass for the most part, and the downtown area was very nice. 

--  Next up on the North American show/conference schedule is GlassBuild America and the Glazing Executives Forum.  You seriously can never have enough education, information, or networking in your life.

--  But before GlassBuild America dominates the landscape I am excited about getting to attend my 2nd glasstec in Germany.  That show kicks off in a few weeks and now that I have one under my belt, I am pumped to take the show on again.  I look forward to reporting back on here some of what I see and experience.  And if you are headed over there, I look forward to running into you along the way!

--  Last this week… the always great Twitter feed of Conners Sales Group (@ConnersSales) had an incredible link posted a few days ago.  Check this one out.  It is an “All Glass Office” and when I say “All Glass” I mean ALL GLASS.  Now I love glass.  Live for it.  Want it everywhere- but I have to admit this actually was event too much for me.  That would be live or work in as obviously if I was the fabricator or glazier, I would LOVE these jobs….

LINKS of the WEEK

I hate companies that gouge.  I get profits and wanting to make a lot… but gouging is terrible and what the makers of the EpiPen (I have to buy at least 6 a year) are doing is criminal.

And while we are on the path of things that are very wrong in our world… how about the debtors prison?  I get the concept, hate the execution.

This is just 30 minutes from me and so comical.  I think Canada needs to build a wall….LOL

VIDEO of the WEEK

The turning of the tables… robbers take on a cell phone store.  Manager runs out the back and locks the bad guys in the store. 






No comments: