Sunday, July 05, 2015

A week of Ups, Downs, and All Arounds

A bit of an odd week as a couple of emotional things went down.  First the news of the passing of long time industry rep Pat McIntosh really threw me for a loop.  Pat was an excellent man, always friendly and dedicated.  Always smiling when I saw him.  He will truly be missed.  My condolences to Pat’s family and friends. 

Then right before the holiday the NFRC announced that CEO Jim Benney left the organization.  No other details were provided outside of a standard quote and naming of an interim leader and I think with how active Jim was even recently you have to consider this move as shocking.   As many of you know I’ve battled the NFRC for more than 10 years and many times drove Jim up the wall.  Even debated him once in Boston at a trade show.  Despite me being a true pain in the rear, Jim always treated me well and always kept a cool and calm composure.  I am not sure where Jim will end up next, but I wish him only the best…  Interesting that in the same week the USGBC (another “favorite” of mine) had their CEO resign as well… could Jim be headed there????  Crazier things have happened…

Elsewhere…

--  My last post on the issue of birds and glass was one of my most popular posts ever.  Obviously this is an issue that is more intense than I realized.  I heard from so many diverse people, both in and out of the industry and got tremendous leads and insights on the process.  The best part was people really wanting to be a part of a solution and that was nice.  In the meantime I plan on staying on this and learning more (and sharing here of course) from some of the new friends I just made.

--  Congrats to my friends at GGI on the launch of their new website.  What a fantastic piece of work there. 

--  Also congrats go out to my old co-worker and friend Scott Goodman on his new gig with AGC.  Good to see him land there and probably get to work with another old friend Matt Ferguson.  That would be a fun road trip to be on if those two made calls together.

--  I have to stress that if you are on Twitter and you are not following Glass Magazine, you need to stop what you are doing right now and do so.  For every big event the live tweeting is so great and so informative, you are seriously missing out.  This week was the AAMA conference and once again I felt like I was there.  Great to get the flavor and no other feed comes close to the live content that Glass Magazine’s provides.

--  Last this week… if you watched and liked the show “The Men Who Built America” then you will probably like the new one out called “American Genius.”  Same sort of historical look at the men and women who made their marks on many facets of our life.  Some episodes better than others (the Steve Jobs vs Bill Gates one was not great) but still worth the watch if you enjoy history and the analysis of it.

LINKS of the WEEK

--  Class still exists in this world.  Nice to see.

--  I am one of those people who does not like Southwest Airlines… but this story is very cool.  And I am stunned that they are not trying this action still!

--  A wedding picture taken under some crazy circumstances.  And it went viral!
  
VIDEO of the WEEK

Those who know me know that the Rocky series (with the exception of #5 which is should never be discussed) is my favorite.  This November, we get a semi sequel to the Rocky films with the new movie Creed.  Should be interesting and here’s the trailer that debuted this week.


No comments: