Tuesday, April 05, 2011

The News

Well that sure was a doozy of an April Fool’s Day eh? Now before I begin, I have to remind everyone that this is my blog- so it’s my opinion (not my company and not Glass Magazine’s) so it’s all on me. Obviously the news that hit on April 1 was surprising, frustrating and upsetting. In my estimation it surely didn’t paint an accurate picture of the company I work for (or the people I work with) and caused serious and unnecessary consternation for the fine folks here. Now all that said I have to step back and say that I trust in the people I work for here in the US and I will await the various outcomes before I comment further. Needless to say these are very interesting times in our world and not just for me and my co workers either…

Elsewhere

-- Looking back at BEC I think of Andy Gum, the most prolific chair in the history of the BEC. Andy was leery of passing the baton to me because he was afraid that the group would lose its focus on the glazier. Now while the attendance of the glazier was weaker than the past and hoped for, the focus of the sessions really was still squarely on the needs of the glazing contractor. Hopefully like noted last week in this space, the mix in the crowd was more aberration than trend.

-- Some good news to report in our world… two new industry babies were born recently. Cameron Scripture of Viracon (seriously one of the nicest guys in the world) welcomed a new baby as well as Angus MacMillan of Dorma. Boys, don’t let your babies grow up to be glass sales people… CONGRATS and best to you and the better half of you who did all the work!

-- This week USA Today had a blurb from the CEO of Wal Mart predicting seriously higher inflation rates. And he sees it happening rapidly. That is surely worrisome.

-- The Department of Commerce just put another huge tariff on Chinese aluminum coming into the US. Which makes me wonder- how does Chinese glass avoid the same treatment? Seriously what am I missing there?

-- And starting to get concerned that as we fight in Libya the issues happening in the Ivory Coast are concerning as well. Man do you ever think that the whole 2012 end of the world thing may actually be right?

-- Ok to finish, we’ll keep it lighter and baseball has started and here’s my predictions on who will win it all… In the National League, I think the Phillies are just too good on the mound to beat in a short series. If the Reds can get the pitching they are the only team that can compete for the pennant there (in my mushy mind) and in the AL.. I like the Sox.. both Red and White to make the runs, but in the end the Yankees have too much to be stopped. In the WS- Phils over Yanks.

LINKS of the WEEK

I have tons and tons. So limiting to a handful is a challenge. So no video and just extra linkage.

-- As the father of a daughter, I actually can appreciate this guys sentiment- but offering cash for the body of her boyfriend “Dead or Alive” is just not good style.

-- A look back with an update on the greatest sports April Fool’s Day joke ever.

-- Comical- Michigan bans a Beer based on its name. Hey its crude and stupid, but I thought we lived in a country that allows free speech?

-- Wait we do have free speech- but sometimes its not great to have…

-- Love these stories… “The Worlds Dumbest Pilots”

-- Mom taking up for the boyfriend instead of the kid. Despicable.

No comments: