Saturday, February 26, 2011

Beware the Mohave Ground Squirrel!

As many people know I really have a strong interest in Solar. I believe in its potential to help the world. However I am amazed daily over the obstacles this technology faces and this week yet another amazing story came out. A solar install in California that could power more than TWO MILLION homes was called off because of concerns about the impact on the Mohave ground squirrel. Now I don’t know about you, but I never ever heard of this specific style of squirrel and quite frankly I am pretty bummed that said squirrel is standing in the way of tremendous progress. The whole solar movement is caught in a major contradiction. The people who want to live green and wean our reliance of oil and coal, love solar… but if it hurts a squirrel or a turtle, well then no way. So getting it straight, let’s settle for things that may be harmful for humans but protect the wildlife.

And trust me- I have come to love animals. My wife brings another one home each week I am gone. But you can’t tell me in our incredible world of minds we can’t figure out a way to use land in the Mohave Desert and find homes for these various species. No way. We sent men to the moon and we now talk on iPhones that can start your car from thousands of miles away- we can do this- why we don’t- is befuddling and will hurt all of us in the long run.

Elsewhere….

-- Gas will go to $5 per gallon. I know I say this every year, but it’s happening here and now. Believe me if we can’t figure out how to save a turtle, we surely can’t help but watch Gas prices go through the roof.

-- We are now a month from Glassweek and BEC. Are you going? If you are on the fence, let me give you yet another reason to get there. Courtney Little of Ace Glass in Arkansas is doing a presentation called “Good Business Practices: Knowing the Cost of Doing Business” and it should be a dandy. Ace has done some amazing projects in the past and this presentation based on some of those experiences should be some must see stuff.

-- The ABI slipped some in January but was still in positive territory. The folks at AIA are still “cautiously optimistic” going forward but the cold hard truth will start to bear its head next month. If it stays above water, the index could be right on track for what many of us expect- an improvement in the economy at the end of the year. If it slips, the signals for a more protracted downturn will be very clear.

-- If you somehow missed the blog by Nicole Harris last week, you really need to take a minute to read it. It was an awesome take on an important subject and done without bias. Really well done.

-- It was reported last week that PPG showed requests for LEED documentation was up 300% from 2007. No doubt LEED is a monster. But I am betting PPG picked up at least 100%+ based on my interview with their green guru James Bogdan!Ha Ha Seriously though, it is amazing how LEED has become a part of our lives and all the more reason to see how the current legal activities against the USGBC (the group behind LEED) play out.

-- Was thrilled I wasn’t the only one last week who was bummed Eminem didn’t win the Grammy he should’ve. But on a related Grammy note- I just hope when Glass Magazine’s own incredibly talented Katy Devlin wins hers, she remembers us little folks in the glass industry.

LINKS of the WEEK

-- Read this story and tell me how this guy shouldn’t go to jail for the rest of his life. Just sick and sad.

-- One of the coolest and wildest pieces of architecture I have ever seen… awesome.

-- When I used to drink soda, my favorite was Diet Dr. Pepper… well those folks are now creating a Dr. Pepper for men only yep this has the fingerprints of a very bored marketing guy all over it!

Bonus Link:

-- Getting arrested after attacking your roommate over her Girl Scout Cookies! Now attacking a roommate over Pizza or M&M’s are fine…. But sorry Girl Scout Cookies are not in that class.

VIDEO of the WEEK

And in case you missed it from the Grammy’s here is Eminem’s performance…. Featuring Dr. Dre, Rihanna and the incredible Skylar Grey.

No comments: