Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Great Stuff

Technology is an amazing thing… mixing new technology within our industry is even better. Today I had the honor of touring an incredible plant that features the sort of technology that is needed to help solve some of our energy woes. As many of you know I am a fan of Sage EC and today I got to see in person why I like what they do and what they stand for. Their plant was incredible, with the most striking angle being cleanliness. I have never seen a glass plant even close to being as spotless as this location. The layout and focus were top notch and then when you get into the products they make, it all comes together nicely. Someday I believe people will look back and say “Remember when these guys just started…” because the sky is the limit. And no for those sarcastic folks (my co workers) they did not pay me to say this- I have been pretty consistent on my appreciation for what they do and really believe in the product. If you have not seen or heard of them- click HERE for their website.

Elsewhere….

-- Did you see Super Bowl tickets will have a face value of $1000 this year? I love sports… love them like crazy, but there is no way in the world I would ever pay that much to attend a game. That is just insane. I really don’t know how an average person can do it.

-- The latest ABI is out and it’s as depressing as expected. It fell to 41… to put in perspective scores at 50 and better are considered good, so we are going the wrong way. And to add fuel to the fire, this quote… and it’s something that I know a lot of readers on this board have experienced first hand:
"Many architects are reporting that clients are delaying or canceling projects as a result of problems with project financing," AIA chief economist Kermit Baker said. "Conditions are likely to get worse before they get better."
Worse before better- where have we heard that before…

-- On the NFRC beat- the latest NFRC newsletter had Q&A’s with the candidates… Fred Higgins put it out there with this line on the CMA: "…I would argue the program costs I’ve seen are well above what the rebounding manufacturer is going to want to bear."
At least Fred would talk costs… and realizes that’s part of the problem with this “Titanic” like effort. Elsewhere there was a ton of other comedy- like basically everything that the Tony Rygg mouthpiece, aka Nelson Pena said and nothing new. By the way Pena will win a seat since he is running against no one and if Rygg wins, he’ll basically have 2 seats since I am sure Nelson will do whatever the Admiral wishes. Yep gotta love this group. If you have not voted yet here is who I am endorsing:
Darrell Smith

Steve Harp

Roland Temple

Unopposed (instead of Pena)

Nils Peterman

The big key though is that between Rygg and Jim Larsen they don’t return to the board- if they do, it will be even uglier for the commercial sector (if that is even possible.)
You know it’s really sad that this group (NFRC) can’t even find candidates to run… let alone get their members to vote. Yet they are in a position to make policy. Sickening.

-- Last, this blog has now turned 3! Thank you to everyone who has supported it with reading, posting and sending e-mails my way. Plus a major thanks to the many folks who supply me with links and info- like BGO, Larry Carlson, Davey G, Dave S, Jim F, Bob Lang, Scott Surma and so on. We’ll keep this ball a rollin’ so thanks again for supporting it- I appreciate it greatly!

Off to the LINKS…

And as mentioned above, I’d be lost with BGO’s help and thanks to her for these links since I had no time and did not run into any I liked this week!

-- Is 2009 going to be like 1929… meaning Great Depression II?

-- Gas is getting more manageable these days but what about food? I really don’t like paying through the nose for my M&M’s… C’mon $1.49… I mean that’s highway robbery!


Video of the week:

If you haven’t seen it… the SNL skit with Sarah Palin was entertaining… The thing that sticks out for me is Amy Poehler is very talented that’s for sure…


2 comments:

Mr. Hooker said...

How would you like to be the natural gas expert at Vitro today?

Max Perilstein said...

uh no way... don't think that guy will be around... what a mess...