Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Be patient its almost there....

The deal, the deal, the deal.. that’s all anyone wants to talk about anymore. Whether its e-mails to me, or visits to the site, the majority is made up on the EFCO sale possibility. From every indication the deal is done, but deals of this size take time to close up. Believe me its not like buying a car… there is so much to go into it that it could easily carry on for another month or two. And in that time the deal could go sour. But given the disaster that is the residential window side, I have a feeling that Pella will not let that happen.

In case you missed it, this comment was left on my last post:

Pella's purchase is interesting in that they are weak when it comes to calling on the commercial architectural community; guess buying EFCO provides them more expertise in this arena. If I were an EFCO employee I'd much rather have Pella as the parent company b/c they treat their employees great and are surely more financially stable then EFCO has been - which is also good for suppliers & customers.
Warning: working for Pella may lead to serious brain-washing, but it could be worse.

It’s a very interesting comment because what does happen to the salespeople and reps? Does the new company keep its residential guys and teach them commercial or vice versa? Plus do any Pella guys know anything about aluminum? After all they bash its existence in every ad they do seemingly, so that will be a switch. Anyway this is one of many storylines to follow as we get closer to done deal.

Elsewhere…

-- Speaking of storylines.. anyone have any updates on the Cardinal-Oldcastle lawsuit? I still think that would be fascinating one to partake in as a spectator. I must be a serious glass geek.

-- For all the people that complain that our industries pricing is crazy, I would say at least we are not like the gas providers. I am amazed as I pass by the local gas station and every day they charge a different price for gas. Everyday. That volatility amazes me. Well it also looks like some of the big gas companies may be taking some heat as it looks like a class action suit will be filed charging some unfair practices. Very interesting read HERE.

-- Amazing and frustrating story of the week is my mom. Particularly her windows. She has needed Hurricane Windows for a while and in advance of the next storm that will surely hit Florida (probably Felix in the next week +) Well me being the son in the industry I tried to hook her up with someone to replace her windows. Now granted we don’t install and don’t make windows or residential sliders at Arch, so I had depend on others… and as of this day I am 0 for 4. Yes 4 window installers in South Florida have visited my Mom.. measured and categorically blown her off. No phone calls with estimates, nothing. I even called one guy back and asked if he’d be getting with my Mom and he said he would… and of course NEVER DID. Keep in mind she was not getting bids… first one that gave her a price GETS IT! Anyway, tts unreal, I am in the business and can’t get stuff done. I can only imagine what happens to people who are not the business. Anyway, it goes to show, that no matter what the business climate, that service can still leaving you wanting.

-- The “green” note of the week...want to go “green” in your life.. then check out this LINK and you’ll be taken to treehugger.com. It has everything on how to “green” your worklife to “greening” your sexlife (for which I did not even want to know…) Wow this revolution covers everything huh?

No video of the week… instead its “Button of the Week” as this is what the hottest button at the upcoming glass show will look like. I have gotten a few requests for these and as soon as I get them I’ll mail out… if you want some let me know.. it’s what every smart and fashionable North American should be wearing!


No comments: