Saturday, November 19, 2005

Denver

Just got back from a visit to Denver to speak to the Colorado Glazing Contractors Association. (CGCA) Good people and very well run organization by Rebecca Kaspari. Rebecca used to work for US Glass and is married to Mark Kaspari of Agalite Shower Doors so she has a pretty solid knowledge of what make our industry tick.

Anyway, I spoke about green building and LEED. And yes I did mention the NFRC but avoided going into detail because when I start that it's hard to get me to stop. Green building practices make sense and I guess because of my opposition to some of the things that NFRC does people may think I am against energy efficiency and advancement. That could not be further from the truth. I want and we need better performing building and we need the tools to be able to deliver that- we just do not need extra validations and on site inspections that the NFRC wants to go with it.

LEED as it stands right now is not perfect- but it is a start- if anything it gives architects a roadmap and ideas to do things better.

By the way, Denver will be in the glass industry news quite a bit as they host the Glass Expo Rocky Mountain in January (which is starting to fill up nicely exhibitor wise) and GreenBuild from the USGBC next fall.

No comments: