Saturday, July 29, 2023

Podcast on Both Coasts

New podcast is up and a truly dynamic duo- one from the east coast and one from the west. Kicking things off is Ashley Klein of AK Glazing.  She is dominating in South Florida and her drive and focus are something to behold.  Some fun insight provided and I think she’s really doing it all the right way. Then to the west and Evan Afenir of Double Play Glass.  Sharp young man with some great takes and the right understanding of how to handle this market and continue to evolve.  Best thing for me is these two people are young and hungry and are the future of our space and that is absolutely awesome!

Thanks for watching/listening and I truly appreciate the growth of my audience.  The audio portion numbers are astounding and I am grateful to all!

VIDEO

AUDIO and search for "From the Fabricator" on Apple, Spotify, or wherever you listen to your podcasts.


Elsewhere…

 

--  Sometimes I see certain trends on LinkedIn that really make me sit up and pay attention.  One trend is the training and development that Fulgencio Rey IV has been pushing at Oldcastle BuildingEnvelope.  I love seeing the posts and the approaches and they are all about continuous improvement and I’ve always loved that angle.  So kudos Fulgencio and team on doing the right thing for the operation AND folks in it.

 

--   Congrats to the best dressed (overall category, slightly ahead of Dapper Dan Reinhart of Salem) person in our world.  Danik Dancause of Walker Glass is celebrating his 21st anniversary at Walker and in our industry!  Danik is ALWAYS a breath of energy and fresh air and just a fabulous person.  I have enjoyed getting to know him over these years and his impact has been huge.  So congrats on year #21 my friend and I look forward to many more from you!

 

--  List time.. what are the fastest growing cities in the US?  You may be surprised- I was!

10- Reno, Nevada- Really surprised- did not think Reno was a grower.

9- Ogden, Utah- Lots of Utah on here

8- Logan, Utah- Yup more Utah

7- Austin, Texas- It’s not Tesla attracting it, it’s the Munson family and Anchor-Ventana!

6- Destin, Florida- Guess it’s more than a vacation spot now?

5- St. George, Utah- Steel Encounters knows what it’s doing! (All over Utah)

4- Bend, Oregon- Another surprise

3- Coeur D’Alene, Idaho and #2 Boise, Idaho- back-to-back Idaho- last week they were in project spotlight- now this- that state is on fire!

And #1 growth is… Provo, Utah… Wow that is something- the state of Utah surely in growth mode!

 

By the way who’s not growing?  Bottom 5 are:

5-  Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania- Once upon a time we had a huge customer in this city- but for the life of me I can’t remember it- may some PDC alumni will remember. Sad to see this at bottom of the list.

4- Lawton, Oklahoma- I thought Oklahoma was in growth mode

3- Lima, Ohio- This was always small to me but obviously not growing either

2- Shreveport, Louisiana- Stunning.  I know my pals at Tomakk led by the very cool Clay Hargett are doing fine

And the slowest growing city- Decatur, Illinois.  Maybe the town should throw money at Tom O’Malley to have him move his empire from Chicago south to Decatur? 

See it all with more details HERE

 

--  Last this week… I have not seen Oppenheimer yet but will do so eventually but I did see had an industry connection with the box office hit.  The emerging transparent photovoltaic company UbiQD welcomed the acclaimed director of Oppenheimer, Christopher Nolan to their facility when it was being filmed nearby and some of their folks were extras in the movie.  Super cool stuff and something the team will always remember! See a picture of the visit from the UbiQB twitter feed!

 

LINKS of the WEEK

Had no idea my windshield wipers could help me parallel park

 

I’d trade Detroit’s big tire for the big peanut in Georgia

 

Don’t mess with folks in Florida is the vibe to this story!

 

PROJECT of the WEEK

W&W is always involved in some of the coolest and most intense projects around.  But when I saw this one on their feed I knew I had to post.  This is Richard Gilder Center for Science, Education, and Innovation designed by Studio Gang.  Just so cool looking the glazing just works perfectly.  Kudos to Jeff Haber, Chris Lalonde and everyone involved in this awesome project.  For more check out the profile HERE from Architects Newspaper.  Good stuff!



No comments: