Sunday, August 09, 2020

Blip on the Radar?

An interesting and unfavorable trend appeared this week in my normal communications around the industry.  For the first time since the virus started locking us down, I am getting reactions that business has slowed up for many.  During the last few months there were stretches where work was delayed or orders slowed but e-mails and inquiries kept up.  This week though I heard from more than a few people in different areas of our industry that the communication just dropped off.  It got slow.  And quiet.  Obviously I hope this is a flukey run but I think there is concern that possibly we’ve hit the valley that many analysts had expected to come later in the year.  There’s no doubt I think we’ve all had it in the back of our heads that a tough stretch is coming our way.  It bears watching and also is a call to make sure you are doing everything you can to stay ahead of it.  Diversify, communicate, evolve etc.  Take advantage of the lessons and info out there to keep you ahead of the potential mess.  Let’s hope though this a blip in my network and not more…

Elsewhere…

Lots of people news…

--  Happy Trails to my good friend George Petzen at Lin El.  George hangs them up next week.  Great guy and super presence at every conference and with really everyone he encountered.  The industry will miss George’s efforts and I personally will miss his takes on our industry and world.  Great guy and I am thrilled he is off to better times in retirement!  Enjoy!

--  Get well soon to my brother Steve.  He recently had back surgery and he’s going through the recovery process now.    Just a matter of time before he’s back to 100% for sure… and he’ll be back to beating me up just like he did when we were kids!

--  Congrats to my guy Dan Plotnick of Vitro on his latest position movement there.  Dan has added extra responsibilities to his role and will do great.  Dan is one of the brightest and more impressive young guys in our industry and I love getting to pick his brain on occasion.  Great move by Vitro and congrats Dan!

--  This week another Thirsty Thursday is up and it is a fabulous topic.  “Preventing Glazing Surprises in Appearance Properties” is on tap and it is something that everyone from Fabricators to Glaziers deal with constantly.  Get the lowdown on this one from Steve Thomas of Guardian Glass.  I believe I called Steve “human Google” in the past because the man is off the charts intelligent.  (I shared a stage with him once and was in awe of his brainpower)  Great subject and speaker so check out more details HERE.

--  Have you registered for GlassBuild Connect yet?  Registration opened up this past week and plans for this event are coming along nicely.  This is the only major online experience you need to attend in September.  It is the only one that brings the best exhibitors and education together for an entire month.  As more of the schedule gets released I will share the highlights but I can honestly say there is nothing like this happening in our world, so get registered now at GlassBuild.com. 

--  Last this week, you may have seen this maze on your social media feeds, but in case you missed it here it is.  This is a great way to put you mind in a different place for a few minutes or like 15 seconds like Sara Neiswanger of NGA zoomed through it.  Fun look at the wild path this year on the road to GlassBuild Connect! 




LINKS of the WEEK

--  A friend commented to me that these were the original “take-out”windows… now it looks like they are back? 

--  A wild boar steals the laptop of a nudist?  Sounds like 2020 to me.

--  Guess this is animal themed section of links… how about a Bear just walking in a house, beating up owner and then leaving?

PROJECT of the WEEK
 Another company that I had not previously known is one I ran into on my feeds this week.  This fabulous work is from Jamie Johnson of Performance Glass.  This is the First Bank Raleigh and it’s in process and the glass is looking spectacular.  Hopefully Jamie will share pictures when it’s done.  The feed mentioned fabricated glass from Tristar, (which looks perfect) framing from Kawneer off a design from Gensler.  Some powerhouses all involved there- Nice!  Congrats on the great work Jamie- glad I saw it!




No comments: