Saturday, January 25, 2020

Get Ready for the Year of Glass!

How cool would it be if our industry, our little world, had the honor of having a year named for it?  Well if we all can come together and push, maybe 2022 will be known as the International Year of Glass by the UN.  I mean to me that would awesome as you know I love our core product and to have that distinction applied to our industry would really be something.  So how does this happen?  Well the National Glass Association (NGA) along with many other glass related organizations are applying to the UN in the coming week with a push noting that the glass world is truly a positive force when it comes to technology, science and the world economy.  It will be interesting to see how this progresses and I am excited to see people getting behind it and supporting it.  I would definitely love the opportunity to stand out from all of those other trades with this recognition.  2022- The Year of Glass.  I like the sound of that!

Elsewhere…

--  The latest Architectural Billings Index was released and it was a blockbuster.  The total came in at a winning 52.5 (remember over 50 is positive) with a crazy good 58.7 number on project inquiries and an even more exciting 53.4 on design contracts.  Inquiries are great and all but contracts are surely a very positive approach.  So the good momentum continues….

--  On the flip side I know many folks have had some January blues to start the year so they probably get mad at me when I am professing all sunshine and butterflies.  There are some soft pockets out there and we knew going into this year it was going to have some odd bumps in the road.  I am still confident on the whole, but surely there are parts that are frustrated out there.

--  The International Builder Show was this week- I was not there but heard from a few that were- seems like some interesting products and services were in play.  Once again a big one were residential windows with extremely high performance.  I do think between New York’s local ordinances and some other municipalities pushing there will be some disruption on residential- So I will be watching to see when that comes more of our way on commercial.

--  I know I write it every week- but BEC is coming and the guest list is growing- will you be there?  I have been honored to be involved with this event for probably 20 of its 24 years and the subject matter this year may be the best yet.  I was pumped that we added Jake Gaddis of United Architectural Metals this week to a panel on Delegated Design.  Jake is an expert actually in Design Assist- and the insight he is going to share in that realm will be amazing.  If you have not signed up yet- go HERE and do it today.

--  Last this week… Love this job that is profiled here but I must say I am bummed as my sister Marcie is a bigwig at the company that is housed in this amazing structure and she never turned me on to it early at all.  Just kept this great design to herself.  Once again proving the smartest Perilstein on the glass side of things is the one not currently in the business!  Really awesome work here by all….


LINKS of the WEEK

--  Feeding the alligators and other wildlife and more.  Crazy story from where else… Florida!

--  These stories of tracking people down seemingly never get old- another good one here based on a VHS tape and first steps of a baby

--  Very bad and immature prank here… just an ouch all the way around.

PROJECT of the WEEK



For the Project of the Week... We go back to Canada again and the fine folks from Garibaldi Glass (who usually don’t read this blog, so see I even give love to those who don’t follow) with an incredible job I saw from them on LinkedIn.  This is the UBC Aquatic Centre in Vancouver and it is very cool.  It is “at one” with the usage of the building being aquatics!  Great design and tremendous execution from Garibaldi and with float from Guardian Glass.  Decorative glass for the win here.... Well done!!





No comments: