Sunday, April 07, 2019

It's Back

For those of you who have been following this blog since its start way back in 2005 knows that one of my favorite subjects of the early years was the NFRC.  I spent tons of time and thousands of words on that organization and its movement and through it picked up fans and detractors along the way.  It truly was a time where we had massive engagement from our industry with regards to the way our products were being received and being reviewed in the marketplace.  Especially with the lack of knowledge of commercial vs. residential…  As the years went by things calmed, movements settled, and the need to be a watchdog went away somewhat.  NFRC is still out there and can still be very disruptive but its not anywhere near what it was… or is it.  See I had to laugh when I saw a blurb online about the latest members elected to the NFRC board.  I clicked the link and cracked up when I saw so many of the same exact people from 10 years ago, still in same positions of power there, meaning the same approaches and most likely the same lack of understanding of the commercial glazing world exists.  Now there’s at least one person on that board I have a ton of respect for and she knows who she is but when I saw some of the others listed, especially those who went after our industry with such rancor and disrespect, it really hit me.  The more things change the more they stay the same.  Anyway I hope the calmness will be here to stay but you never know and we always have to be prepared for any instance coming our way.

Elsewhere…

--  I know for many people Facebook is something not to utilize anymore, but I will say if you are in the shower door world, being a part of the Shower Door Installers and Manufacturers group (search for it) is awesome.  Incredible pictures and stories there.  Major props to Chris Phillips of Showcase Shower Door Company for starting it and to all of the folks posting on it- great job!

--  Heads up marketing friends… last year we had GPDR for e-mail and communication to Europe… now we have a new wrinkle from California with the California Consumer Privacy Act.  This goes into effect January 1 and from all that I am reading will have a serious effect on how you market in the golden state.  Here’s a quick link with some details. 

--  Congrats to my friend Tim Finley on starting his own business T.Fin Building Solutions.  He is now a full scale, high-end manufacturers rep with an absolute powerhouse of lines under his roof.  Very happy for you Tim and you will do great with this business!

--  April 17th I will get to do another first for me… a visit to The Mid Atlantic Glass Expo.  I have never gotten to attend this legendary event and hopefully I’ll even get to see people like the great Michael Albert of S Albert Glass… (one of the best people in our world)  More info on this event can be found HERE

--  For folks in Canada and eastern US- the next edition of TopGlass in suburban Toronto is coming also April 17.   Very good educational event and trade show.  Among presentations there will be strong presentations on contractor certification and the adventures of anisotropy.  

--  Really cool building here that is looking to meet some serious sustainability goals…

--  Last this week… so full disclosure…. GlassBuild America is a client of mine and has been for years.  This year I am taking on a larger role in promoting the show.  So be prepared there will be more mentions here than normal.  But also please consider coming to the show and share that message around.  What is being planned for this year is very exciting at so many levels.  I truly believe we will have an event to cherish because of the education, innovation, and networking along with incredible displays by the best companies in the world who will be exhibiting.   So this is the heads up… and get ready… more to come!

LINKS of the WEEK

I do love dogs and so this site would be helpful for me when I am watching movies

When you read about kids like this it surely gives you hope for the future!

Interesting- the Meatless burger from Burger King

VIDEO of the WEEK

Cobra Kai season 1 was incredible… the flash forward of the Karate Kid series was so good it is exciting we get a season 2!  Its coming in a few weeks and here’s the trailer…



No comments: