Sunday, April 14, 2019

Comings, Goings, Forecasts, Brands, and more....


Yet another week with lots of news bits around the industry and beyond… so let’s take a look.

--  Coming and Going… two very good people made the news this week with updates on their careers.  First my old friend Marty Biskup was named Sales Director at GAMCO in New York.  Marty is a great guy and this seems like a perfect spot for him and his energy.  Though I must say when I saw the news he was listed as Martin and the picture showed a guy without a mustache so I have to wonder if that’s really him!  LOL.  Congrats Marty!  On the flip side, Steve Morren of Walker Glass announced he’s retiring effective at year-end.  I don’t know Steve that well- I have interacted with him on a few occasions and those times were really interesting and helpful for me.  I do know that Steve has a reputation as one of the more brilliant architectural minds in our world, so him hanging them up will leave a hole.  Congrats Steve on your retirement, enjoy the next phase of life!

--  One of the hottest subjects/exhibits at the BEC show was MyGlassClass.com and this week I noticed a pretty cool pitch on LinkedIn about it. 

MyGlassClass.com was originally created for glazing professionals. Now the curriculum has expanded to more than 60+ on-demand courses designed for fabricators, installers, sales reps, customer service reps and more.”
Preview the free courses: HERE.  Really good stuff and major steps for the industry.

--  The latest Dodge Momentum Index stayed steady- in fact the report said the index moved “sideways.”  The analysts point to many major projects being in the late stages of work for the “sideway” quote.  In any case it stayed in positive ground and the focus on public buildings and schools for the rest of 2019 should keep it in plus territory.

--  This piece of news usually comes up a few times a year but it’s been a while since my last mention.  Surging gas prices are back … and this pain at the pump is returning just in time for summer driving/busy season.  What’s frustrating for me is there’s usually never any rhyme or reason for the price maneuvers but yet here you have it. 

--  Last week I mentioned Chris Phillips incredible shower door page.  This week he had me on his podcast.   A ton of fun for sure and I really enjoyed the questions Chris asked. Thank you Chris for having me on!  I’ll be posting link here and on my social pages as soon it is live!  (So feel free to listen on that next commute or whenever you take in podcasts)

--  I love brands and I love lists… so how about a cool story that lists the most loved brands?  This is for 2019.  This is a fun breakdown but man I have disagreements all over the place.  Check it out for yourself but never in my wildest dreams would I expect the US Postal Service or Subway in the Top 20.  Well worth the read…

--  Last this week… my wife often calls me a “travel snob” because I have no patience for other travelers because I am on the road a ton.  (Honestly I try to be very patient with non travelers, I just fail a lot.  Lol)  Well this week I got my comeuppance making the ultimate rookie mistake.  I left my iPad behind on the plane, safely nestled in the seatback in front of me.  So. Stupid.  This is one of those things I am always usually 100% focused on- “do I have everything” and I check everything 3 times before I leave the plane.  This time, I completely blew it.
It’s been a week since I did it and while the lost & found forms have been filled out, there’s been no sign of it.   I have the tracking technology on it but so far nothing has been turned back online or someone trying to get in.  So who knows, maybe its in a bin at gigantic warehouse somewhere waiting for some awesome employee to find it but I am not feeling too confident. So this travel snob obviously doesn’t have all the skills…

LINKS of the WEEK

A friend sent me this with an absolute dead on note… if this picture happens today the outrage would’ve been off the charts.  But since it was waaaay back in 1995, it didn’t even make a ripple.  That is the bigger takeaway than they article itself!

This one will be one to watch… shoplifter?  Millionaire who owns an island?  Or both?

Crème Egg Mayo?  NOOOOOOO

VIDEO of the WEEK

Skipping this section this week…. It shall return next week!

No comments: