Sunday, January 27, 2019

Almost Right


So the latest Architectural Billings Index came out and I was almost correct with my prediction of it being under water this month.  The ABI came in at 50.4, which is barely beating the break even 50 mark.  I knew softening was coming, just not as much as I thought.  The analysts pointed to the tariff issue, the US Government shutdown, and a feel for an unstable business landscape as the reasons why.  So now the watch continues into next month- the overall attitude in the field has been on the positive end, but there is a bit of malaise to start the year.  There was solid news in that the project inquiry number stayed robust at 55- so that is good.  In any case I am not at all surprised about the main number but I am pleased to be wrong in this case- no matter how small the margin is on the plus side, I am glad to take it!

By the way with all of the forecasts in… AIA’s “consensus” forecast for 2019 non residential construction is a 4.4% gain.  For many that is not impressive or meaty enough, for me I can’t see how you could complain about positive growth…

Elsewhere…

--  Annual Conference looked to be a major hit- I heard from many that said the keynote was incredibly interesting.  I hated missing it.  Lisa Rammig, of Eckersley O'Callaghan & Partners gave the talk about glass and trends and according to this tweet from my friend Andrew Haring- it was pretty awesome but still scratching the surface:

"Despite dropping jaws with transparent IGU’s, flexible thin glass vent windows, 3D printed shading integrated directly into an IG unit, and a freaking all-glass slide (!!!)... she claims “we’re not where we want to be.” Fantastic presentation!"


I surely hated missing it… 

--  Have you noticed there’s surely a lot of airport remodeling/rebuilding going on and the nice thing is the amount of glass being used is awesome.  Last week the drawings for the update to O’Hare in Chicago came out and they all look to really want to take full advantage of the greatness of the glazing!

Scary story about constructions cranes being hacked.  That will be one of the worries with how connected our world is these days and will be even more in the future.

I ran across some interesting numbers last week with regards to website effectiveness.  84% of industry/architectural buyers will check out a companies website before doing business with them.  So when I am on here complimenting folks on their new sites etc. that is a big reason why… it matters.  So that said kudos to Heather Monroe at Machines and Wheels on the re-launch of their site.  Tremendous work- site is smartly done and easy to navigate.  Great work to Heather and her team!

Last this week… back to the Annual Conference and the news that Julie Schimmelpenningh was named as the 2018 winner of the C. Gregory Carney Member of the Year Award.  Julie is flat out awesome.  She so deserves the recognition and I am thrilled she was honored with this amazing award.  Also knowing that our friend, the late Mr. Carney, would be so pleased that Julie was selected makes the day for me.  Congrats Julie!

LINKS of the WEEK

A VERY creative way to remove snow…. Better than shoveling right?

Wow the Weinermobile in an accident… worthless trivia when I had client in Memphis, the Weinermobile used to be parked in the lot of the hotel I always stayed at…

Sorry- no way can a Gator be an emotional support animal! 

VIDEO of the WEEK

Always awesome when a performer pulls a kid on stage and the kid comes through with an epic performance… here’s one from a Foo Fighters concert.  On a side note I wish I could play an instrument… love music, no skills whatsoever to play it!



No comments: