Sunday, December 30, 2018

Honoring Mom

I have been writing and posting this blog pretty much every Sunday since 2005.  I have always noted it was therapeutic for me to do so… so today, this one absolutely is… and its not specifically about glass but it is about someone who had a major influence on a few of us in this industry.  I dedicate this post to my Mom.  She passed away early this morning at the age of 85.  She read this blog every week and even though she had little idea of some of the things I talked about here, she loyally read it.  Kind of the “Mom” thing to do right? 
My mom was the strength and support behind my Dad when he started a new glass business in the 70’s.  He started it when interest rates were rocketing and not exactly the best economy.  My mom was the strength and support behind my sister and brother who joined with my dad to build that business. And she was there for me too when years later I went into the business.  So I guess if any of us drive you crazy, you can point to her influence that pushed us here.
The incredible growth and following success in business that my brother led us to had fingerprints on it from both our parents, but I think it was my Mom’s qualities of strength and toughness that allowed us to survive and then thrive.  I always believed, and still do, that my mom was a “hockey player” in that she was incredibly resilient.  The woman was like a piece of the best bomb resistant glass out there- she could take the best blast of whatever hit her (Cancer, Sicknesses, premature passings etc) and handle it with amazing grace, all while bouncing back usually in an incredible amount of time.  (Like the hockey player who could loose a mouthful of teeth but still be out on the ice next shift) 
So today is tough day and a big loss.  It’s the first Sunday blog she won’t read from me but I know she’d want me and my brother, and sister along with our kids and grandkids to be strong and battle through it like she always did.  We love you and we will miss you Mom… and yes I will miss my most loyal reader. 


Thank you.
My Mom Ettie taking a look at a few of her favorites including her awesome great grand-daughter this past November

No comments: