Sunday, June 04, 2017

The 90% Rule

I know I have talked at length about the AIA show over the last few weeks but one more item came up and I honestly could not resist sharing it here and commenting.  On the front of the AIA Expo 2018 website there was a statistic that simply blew me away.  It is:

“90% of attendees say the Architecture Expo is one of their top 5 best conference experiences” 

Inside the link it clarified the statement more in case you thought they were comparing AIA vs. another show. 

“90% of attendees say one of their top 5 best experiences at the event is visiting with exhibitors.”

Now lets think about this one for a minute. 90% of attendees said the expo part of the AIA show is one of their top FIVE experiences while there.  SO the question is how was the survey laid out- only 5 choices?  And how many other experiences at an event like this are there?  Education, Tours, Networking are three for sure.  This isn’t Disney where there’s 100 things all going on at once.  The centerpiece of the conference is the actual show, so you would think that this would be important.  And it also makes you think about the 10% who DID NOT find this to be “top 5” – I would love to see what items that group picked.
In any case I found the stat to be flat out bizarre.  And while I know some exhibitors had a good show in 2017, the majority did not.  But fear not those who had a negative time in Orlando… the attendees…90% of them… consider you a “top 5 experience”

Elsewhere…

--  Staying on the topic of shows, the past 2 weeks saw major international shows that are growing with North Americas being involved.  The FIT show in the United Kingdom and the China Glass Expo held in Beijing.  From the reports I got, both were well attended and positive with regards to the overall industry economy and with regards to the North American market.  It was exciting to hear from Gerhard Reichert whose company launched their WorldSpacer at both events with great success.  I love hearing about new products and the push behind them and doing back-to-back shows in the UK and China is no easy feat- so nice work Gerhard and team!

--  REMINDER- June 5th is the deadline for the Glass Magazine awards!  If you have a great project, product, or feat of fabrication time is almost up to get these efforts submitted.  Here is the link… do it today so you can be in the race to be honored with the most prestigious recognition our industry has going.

--  And while I am reminder mode… the NACC has a pretty cool webinar coming up at the end of the month.  It is Project Installation from All Points of View- featuring a glazing contractor, consultant, and quality manager as they take a technical look at all that goes into installing on a project.  The webinar is scheduled for June 28th- for more information you can visit www.naccprogram.com

--  Last this week… I want to congratulate all of the folks out there that have children and family members graduating high school or college right now.  Very exciting times and I wish only best for our latest batch of youngsters hitting the next steps of the world.  Normally I rarely say anything on my wife or kids, so please roll with me as today I am going all in, as my daughter Natalie is graduating from High School this week.  We are truly blessed to have her and I am so excited as she wraps up one story and gets ready to start another one this fall at college in South Carolina.  Aside from being an awesome kid, Natalie also has a very major spot in my glass industry-writing career.  My very first trade magazine article for the industry- a few years before I started this blog- focused on how companies name their products (long live “Jade Ice”) and I used the process my wife and I had in coming up with Natalie’s name as a part of the piece.  So you could say Natalie was an integral part of me writing and taking this role on and almost 18 years later, I’m still going.  Anyway- I love you Natalie and I know you will do incredible things in your life!


LINKS of the WEEK

 Absolutely I have done this before… always read the descriptions closely before you buy online!

I’m a very big truth in labeling person with regards to food products, so I think the manufacturer has some culpability here but I also think the person suing is wrong too.

I mentioned my daughter Natalie above- she is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and eggs.  And thisstory surely would get her fired up.

VIDEO of the WEEK

And here they are the news bloopers from May… some legitimate good ones here.






No comments: