Sunday, May 11, 2014

Bad Old Buildings

I was fascinated this week from stats that the excellent John Wheaton posted on his twitter feed.  The information made it pretty clear where our major issue is from an energy efficiency standpoint.  Our problems are not as much with the buildings we are constructing now (though some are not good energy wise) but with the fact the building inventory is outdated and guaranteed to be not even close to the energy standards that everyone wants/needs to achieve.  John's posted stats from a conference he was attending...  93% of commercial building stock was constructed before 2003.  74% before 1989!  That is simply mind blowing.  So while many of those buildings have at least insulating glass (in the regions that makes sense) many probably have outdated or no high performing glass, spacer and aluminum in them.  So while the push forward to continues to build “better buildings” we really need to examine the ones that are already up and not going anywhere…

Elsewhere…

--  I was very happy for the fine folks at ICD on the announcement of the groundbreaking of a new facility.  The Vockler family is pure class, and flanked by great people like Steve O’Hollaren and Jim Butler, just makes them even better.  This new step I am sure is very exciting for them and I know great things will come from it!

--  I do start to wonder what’s in the water in the Pacific Northwest- I think every week I am congratulating someone from that area.  Between the Garibaldi, TGP, Hartung, ICD, NWI, Bill Coady, Rich Porayko, Chris Ketchum, Darand Davies, Washington Glass Association etc… man what an area for solid companies and people.

--  Just a reminder on a great tool that I had to use this week for a friend.  The Efficient Window Collaborative has a window selection piece on their website that is simply awesome.  It’s great way to determine the best windows to buy for your home and the tool continues to become easier and easier to use.  

--  Speaking of really helpful tools, for the first time I was able to use PPG’s “Glass eView” and it was really strong.  Lots of different options and uses, I was on there for a lot longer than I planned.  

--  To me there’s nothing more frivolous in our economy than spending on political campaigns.  While I realize it does help some aspects of the economy (TV Stations and Graphic Artists/Ad Agencies) the money spent is downright insane.  In Michigan it’s expected that 50 million dollars will be spent on the senate campaign.  50 MILLION.  Something is seriously wrong with this picture.  I am sure 2016 Presidential campaign will break the BILLION dollar mark.  And really for what???

--  Last this week… Got my new issue of Glass Magazine this week- awesome as always. (special kudos on the graphic layout, really impressive!) And like I have been doing each month- I’m noting the ad in there that jumps out and impresses me. M3 Glass Technologies did it this month with a clean and catchy piece that made me stop and read.  Nice job!

LINKS of the WEEK

--  For my fellow road warriors… top hotel tips.

--  Pretty sick person here.  These stories just kill me.

--  Being a hero during wedding pictures.  Cool.

VIDEO of the WEEK

Since I think winter may actually be over, the video of the week looks back at it, with a comical security video that shows that the shoveling is never actually done…


No comments: