Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The other side of green

Normally I start with an observation of the week and then break into shorter thoughts and then the “Links”- however nothing has caught my fancy as much as a commentary from the Detroit News. The columnist, Nolan Finley takes on the world of “green” and how our efforts to turn that way are in his opinion affecting so many other items that you just may not realize. The commentary can be found HERE and it’s a quick and worthwhile read. I know that several people from the “Eco-Lobby” side of the world read this blog and it will be very interesting to see what they say. Ironically this whole thing also makes me think about NFRC (my gosh, I think everything anymore makes me think about that stuff… I am pathetic) because its along the same path… in our efforts to try and be more energy efficient we can’t be comfortable with programs that work and that are inexpensive… no we need Titanic like layer and fee driven adventures… and costs will rise because of it….

Elsewhere…

-- If you are not checking out Megan Headley’s blog (Here) or Ellen Rogers (Here) please do… some good stuff there on both. On Ellen’s last post she talked about the dreaded surcharge and the effect on everyday life… E I think you should pass it on… your Mom got off easy… but seriously good stuff and usually a lot lighter than my foot stomping whine-fests you are used too…

-- And speaking of Blogs- Paul Bieber’s update this week was solid too- if you have a glass shop- you're getting some very good free advice.

-- USGNN also ran a piece last week on a tempered table tops blowing up…and now a lawsuit has been filed… and I think you all know what is next… the glass most likely came from China… what a shock… Yet its comical, you see this story all over the place.. it just ran in DC last year and you know its happening like crazy… yet the sheep still bring in the material from China with no fear or conscience. Simply amazing.

-- Great Tech follow ups in the most recent GANA Glass Reflections… once again Greg Carney handles the whole NFRC debacle with such care and class. And he brings up a big point that flies under the radar since there’s so many other warts on this toad… and that’s price… the total pricing has not really been established and I wonder where the NFRC is on the whole “outside” funding thing. Personally I think that the city of Seattle and the State of California should pony up all the cash for this bad boy… they want it.. they’ve helped propagate it… let them PAY for it.

-- Just asking… why do Hurricane’s get more coverage than Tornado’s? Is it because we have weeks to wait for the hurricane to hit or not hit? It is because we name them? Is it because with a hurricane you can show people evacuating? Maybe it’s me, but this has been a terrible run on Tornado’s lately and yet I think it only gets a portion of the coverage of a hurricane. My heart goes out to all who have been affected and I know a few people personally who have lost either portions of their homes or the entire home due to these storms… just horribly depressing anyway you slice it.

To the LINKS we go…

-- NASA is paying for people to stay in bed… yes this may be my next gig! If I can get an internet hi speed connection I am there…

-- You many have seen this today… Man suing Jet Blue for being forced to sit in the bathroom…. I don’t know with how cramped the flight is… is this a bad thing? Especially if it does not smell, you at least would have more room…

-- For you “Family Guy” folks…(an awesome show if you have not watched- go rent the DVD’s) this blog is trying to say that new Miami QB Chad Henne looks like a character on the show… Uh I say no…

Video of the week…

Speaking of Family Guy.. this is a clip from the special DVD “Blue Harvest” which is a rip roaring take off of Star Wars… Great stuff…

No comments: