Saturday, October 13, 2007

Saturday with More and new Chinese Toy

Got a bunch of e-mails after the last post that brought up some great issues...

A reader reminded me about the last NFRC "outreach" it was was $30,000 grant to Board member Gary Curtis,for his organization to educate architects on this new program.... So SEE they have been trying... but remember they only try by giving money to one of their own...

Another reader pleaded with me to not "give in" on the need if this issue. I am not giving up, but there are certain things that can be done and others that can't. Plus with how big of a mess this is, it may blow up all by itself.

I did get one dissenting opinion, stating that there is a serious need for what NFRC brings... and to that I say... the only people who would benefit from the way the system is set up now and the way the Board truly wants to set it up are:

1. People who see NFRC Cert as a "revenue stream" and yes there is at least 2 folks out there who can't wait for it to happen, because they think they can make money from it
2. People who think that NFRC cert will legitimize their products that either don't deserve it or have bad reputations.

That's it. Because how the NFRC Board wants it, no normal industry stakeholder will see any value or need.
And of course I need to always add this....
I have no problems with a program to rate whole system calculations. And I don't have a problems with a certification program that could work with it. The problems will always lie in the inane and overwrought oversight and the lack of care/knowledge from the people attempting to implement it. Plus competition would be nice eh? I mean don't you and I have competition? Why does the NFRC have the same rights as the IRS?

Last- I also had 1 call and 1 e-mail to please not forget about China... and trust me I won't. The China issue is 1000 times worse than the NFRC. While the NFRC could ultimately destroy themselves, the Communist Chinese won't and vigilance is a must.

More proof... despite all the recalls, the exports still keep coming and it WILL GET WORSE! Especially in our industry. Click HERE for the story.

And from a reader (Thanks David!) this great picture of the latest toy recall from China... CLASSIC!


No comments: