Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Struggling with an Answer

Last week’s “Question of the Week” on the daily USGNN e-mail was: Has the acquisition of independent fabricators by large companies peaked? I have been chewing on that question since first seeing it, trying to figure a quick easy answer. And amazingly I don’t have that answer. Has it peaked? Well maybe but not really. Business for the most part in the commercial sector is very good, but looking at the misery that has hit the residential side, you always have to keep in your mind that same result may/will come calling on the commercial side- pushing people to sell or making the larger companies even hungrier to buy. So to me it depends on the economy- if the commercial side of the business starts to stutter like a few analysts think it may in early 2008, then action may take place. If for some reason it rides out the storm, then I think, the deals will be few and far between. Regardless there’s probably 2 major deals left to take place in 2007- so stayed tuned, we’ll still have some fun stuff to talk about.

Elsewhere….

-- I am in Las Vegas this week and everytime I come here I get more amazed over the incredible excess. The good part is the use of glass and metal is spectacular… You really have to give it to the designers here because they really use all of the great products that are available in North America (and beyond in some cases) and really do not play the value engineering role in going to less extravagant, weaker performing material. So while I hate the amount of water that is being wasted and electrical being used, I am thrilled about the fenestration side.

-- When you come to Glassweek/BEC next February (Which is truly the most important and best gathering in our industry), a must show to see is “LOVE” at Mirage. It’s a Cirque show based on The Beatles and it’s simply mind blowing. Easily jumps to #1 on the list show wise here. If you like The Beatles you’ll love this show and even if you don’t like them (which is scary if you ask me) you’ll still love this show.

-- Saw on the Tuesday edition of USGNN that Interedge Technologies is changing its name to AGC Interedge Technologies. Wow. And that wins this week’s award of “Skimpiest reason to have a Press Release.” I am working on a press release right now that will announce from here on out, this blog will be named the Max From the Fabricator Blog. Let’s go guys, save the precious press release stuff for serious use huh?

-- I really can hammer China again, I mean there’s just so much material there it’s simply becoming unreal. How about the export surplus or the execution of the former minister or we could just continue to talk about the reps who have gotten burned by dastardly deals. (Yes another one contacted me last week after my story ran) It’s just getting too easy.

-- Speaking of easy… rating glass and fenestration is sooooo easy that ISO out of Switzerland announced they are getting into it too. You know because there’s just not enough controversy or issues on it already. The story is HERE from E-Weekly. Best line is

“The NFRC has been trying develop a standard for the last 15 years and there’s nothing yet”

Oooooooh those are fighting words…. My take… and I can’t believe I am writing this… but taking a pot shot at NFRC is wrong. Develop your standard and get on with it and leave the complaining about NFRC to the experts… But seriously I am concerned about their motives and timing. Does ISO really have a simple, inexpensive program already done that can be used? To me that is very hard to believe, but I guess we will see. In addition the story quoted Bipin Shah, who used to work at NFRC, is quoted sometimes as an employee of NFRC, and I think actually does some work for NFRC. So is Bipin covering all of the bases now? Plus who are the reps from the US? Hopefully more will come of this and hopefully it’s not another adventure to have to follow.

This week’s video… in honor of The Beatles… a video of their first hit “Love Me Do”- Enjoy…

No comments: