Sunday, July 29, 2007

Quick Sunday Comment

I'll dig more into this later in the week, but a quick comment based on one of the quotes in the USGNN story on the NFRC meetings last week.

The comment from the USGNN story:

Denny Raske with Allmetal spoke out, saying NFRC needs to "step up to the plate" to get the CMA program finalized.

"It can't happen at a cost of time. NFRC has to find some way [to get] this up," Raske said, comparing the development to that of ASTM E 2190, which was completed in two years, primarily by four people. "You have to take a look at the industry and not NFRC. NFRC's got to get better market penetration--only 10 percent after [18] years is not much. Inform the industry and if you do that they will understand the fees."

I am befuddled by this comment on several levels.

1. No one bashes the NFRC more than me, but why would you want them to rush a program that won't work on to the market? Would your company rush product to the market if they knew it would fail? The issue should not be how long they are taking but the fact that they had little business getting into this industry the way they did. If they would've approached this from a different angle, it probably would be done by now, but when you start with so many levels of unnecessary fat and policing, (and you have test labs and consultants pushing you too) it takes time to drill down. And while its not to a great level yet, believe me, where the program is at now is 1000 times better than where it was 2 years ago.

2. Inform the industry and they'll understand the fees? Let's see NFRC has informed the industry and groups like GANA and IGMA who represent a majority of the industry are fighting them for being too high for a program like this. (and they are fighting with facts like payback for a non profit, lack of outside funding etc. Not just on costs being too high- which they are) I pay membership to both and am glad that they have mine and this industries best interests at heart. The fees and costs of this program are still too high but I guess when the only skin you have in this game is spacer, it doesn't translate.

Bottom line is once the program is sensible, workable, fair, and cost effective, then it will be ready. To rush it for either your own business needs or for the fact its "taking too long" is extremely shortsighted and harmful to our industry.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Max,

Don't ya find it funny that the ads at the top of your column don't go to your company?

Max Perilstein said...

Yes, I do actually. Its pretty comical. The first ads were for Red Cross and charitable angles, but now these have come up. Not sure if these are here to stay or they rotate... Its all new to me.
Thanks for reading and posting.

Anonymous said...

The lack of comments and interaction on all these glass blogs must make you feel like you're talking to yourself. Isn't this a bit silly to continue?

There is NO interaction.

Max Perilstein said...

Wow.. someone did not get their brain this morning eh? Well sorry to rain on your parade, but my traffic is well beyond what I expected and I get tons of e-mails from people commenting to me. A lot of people are shy to post or in some cases, are forbidden by company policy to post on a blog like this. But they are out there- and guess what, people who disagree with me even e-mail me too- so I actually know who they are.... unlike someone like you who can make a quick anonymous comment and slither away.
So basing your comments on this comment section is shortsighted because there is interaction otherwise I wouldn't do it. When and if that happens I'll settle down, but as long as I get people who come up to me at shows, e-mail me and even check this blog when they are overseas- I'll keep doing it.... and even if they go away, it still is therapy to get off my chest the issues and goings on in our industry.
Thanks for taking the time to comment- and come again!

Max Perilstein said...

Sorry- I meant "bran" not "brain" in the above....

Anonymous said...

Therapy is good

Anonymous said...

Where does one look to understand the fees associated with NRFC's CMA program? - e.g. a simple explanation along with the fee structure for each participant?

If the CMA program goes into effect ... what's the Penalty for not following the CMA? Can they actually Enforce the CMA?

Max Perilstein said...

Thanks for the post.

You can find the initial ones here-
http://www.glasswebsite.com/secure/reflections/2007-06/CMA%20Fees.pdf

now keep in mind this is just for the program, does not include membership and some of the other fees that will be associated with the program.

As for enforcement, that's a great question. The way I understand it, it will be enforced via the code orgs. (thus the reason we wanted an option of AAMA or someone else to offer this program so NFRC would not have a monopoly) As for will it have teeth- that remains to be seen, but as I know, their residential program surely does- so I assume this one will too. Thus the urgency to develop a program that truly makes sense on EVERY level.

Gillie said...

Do you know where I can get a window for my living room?

Max Perilstein said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Max Perilstein said...

Had to delete the last comment because after looking back I have no idea if your serious.. if so... depends on where you live and what you want- e-mail me and I can help.