Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Time to answer some mail

Well I now know why magazines and periodicals do “Power Lists” because the ranking of people/groups/events draws incredible interest. Last week’s post was my most read ever, blowing away all previous records. The totals were mind boggling to me, and for those of you who are coming back for a 2nd time and those of you who have been here since the start- a sincere THANK YOU. It is a thrill knowing so many in our fine industry are taking a few minutes out of their day to read this site.

OK now on to the matter at hand… in the last 3 months I have gotten a ton of e-mail and verbal feedback from my posts. So its time to address some of the questions that have come through, so here goes…

I enjoyed the rankings last week, but I have to disagree, while green building may be “hot” there’s no way its as dominant as you say- I have done a ton of business in the last 2 years and have yet to be involved in any green type project. While I can see the movement, I just don’t see it like you do.

I can see where you are coming from as “green” and LEED are not exactly mainstream everyday type issues, but their growth has been explosive over the last few years. Where it’s strongest now is in the educational work area or in green hotspots like Austin, Texas. It’s just a matter of time before it catches up with you.


I have to tell you I am actually tired of the whole NFRC stuff. No one has effectively told me how they will “change my life” and I simply don’t get it.

That’s a fair and un-fair comment. Part of the problem is the NFRC moving into the commercial world has had so much coverage, articles and rebuttals, that it IS hard to truly grasp what will be the final effect. As I have been promising, I will be doing a complete post on NFRC and will try and explain it in the best detail I can. In the meantime, I believe there’s a reason why there’s so much coverage- because the “change” is real.

I didn’t think I’d like your blog but I actually do, but curious you have to be pissing people off with some of your takes.

Thanks for the compliment. As for my comments, it is what it is…. This is my therapy and a chance to comment on the goings on inside our industry. If AFG or Kawneer hate me because I pick on their logo’s or name changes then so be it. The goal is not to be snarky (saracastic maybe, but not snarky) but to be informing and get people thinking and talking.

What’s the difference between GANA and NFRC? Also with NFRC, is the membership behind all of the moves you talk about? I can’t imagine anyone wants to pay for extra tests and incur more costs.

GANA is a trade organization that is member driven. The NFRC is a 501c3- which means that it’s a charitable organization that is Board driven. The NFRC does not have a responsibility to its members, their focus is to the “Stakeholder” which is the public at large. The Board of the NFRC can and does make the rules and so matter what the member’s want, if the Board wants something different- it’s their call. Period.

Any more updates on the Kansas arena?

No, I got a handful of responses from people who were sickened by the process though. Ironically the new Pittsburgh arena will be designed by HOK too, gosh I hope and pray that job stays in North America.

My company got a reject note from an architect because we submitted “Pilkington” glass and it was not in the specs. LOF was though. Amazing huh?

Yep, sure is. Most of the notes I got on the “crazy architectural” rejection were of this nature. I am continually amazed….

On your organization list, I think you really missed it- I don’t see any of the 5 as powerful except AIA. The others were either plugs for groups you like or a chance to bash those you hate.

Wow. Hey you’re entitled to your own opinion- maybe it’s time you start a blog…. Bottom line, I believe my list was dead on.

You need to explain the difference between a trade group and a governmental agency because some groups really DO have more power than others.

Yes, some do have differing “powers” based on how they are set up. The IECC is apart of the ICC and they have power granted to them by the DOE. The ICC is combination of 3 former separate code groups (BOCA, ICBO, SBBCI) to make one supergroup. While they are not a governmental agency, they have the government behind them, as well as local jurisdictions who choose to follow these codes. A trade group is like GANA or IGMA and is looking out for its industry and works to create standards to be followed industry wide and by architects and designers as well. The NFRC gets their power because they have a monopoly on ratings- and the DOE/ICC allow that to happen.

Aside from crying about it, is there anything we can do in the whole Chinese material issue?

Yes there is and I am working on that too. Sometimes that’s where the blog and my job intersect, as when I get it figured out for Arch, I will then get it up here. See I do work… seriously.

How come no one ever comments, I have a hard time believing that many people read your site.

Believe me people are reading, and last week it was in huge numbers. Plus I get tons of e-mails, so if people want to be cyber-shy then so be it.

Loved the videos each week how do you find them?
I am lucky really, I come across while checking other sites and now I get calls and e-mails suggesting some. The big issue is to keep them short and to also make sure they are PC.


So that’s it, a small sampling of notes that I have gotten and replied to privately and now publicly. In all seriousness the feedback has been more positive than what I listed above, but I felt the chosen ones above were the most topical.

This week’s video is from this week’s past Saturday Night Live featuring a cool Peyton Manning, fake United Way commercial. Ironic since NFRC and United Way are both charities… yes they are… seriously.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The IECC is apart of the ICC and they have power granted to them by the DOE. "

Would you explain what you mean by this?

Max Perilstein said...

Arlene-

Always appreciateyou taking the time to chime in and I am glad you did on this one.

"Granted" may be the wrong term- the DOE obviously works in conjunction with the IECC and recognizes the IECC as a legitimate code bearing authority.

Bottom line is no matter how we feel or what the truth of the real layout may be- the DOE lending any sort of endorsing hand to any organization, immediately gives it "power"-

With you being one of the countries most respected energy consultants- I know you know a ton about the IECC and their goings on- and you probably have a whole different persepctive. I just take it from my angle- the angle that shows people paying more attention and giving more respect to something because the DOE is involved.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, Max, I'm going to owe you a big ole' check when I stop blushing. I'd argue that there are a lot more respected consultants out there. I just don't mind asking dumb questions. Anyway, on to more important matters...

I guess I just wanted to see what the perception was. From my observation, I wouldn't say that DOE works in conjunction with IECC. When DOE developed the 2004 supplement code, DOE had to bring it before the committee just like any other proponent. There was considerable debate around it, and it certainly was not passed just how DOE submitted it. Perhaps that's your point. That by working through the ICC process, DOE raises the respect others have because DOE respects the process.

DOE proposals tend to have a lot of vetting, though, because they are DOE proposals. So I find it interesting and enlightening that you're saying that people perk up and pay attention when they're involved. I find that it's the non-DOE proposals that you have to watch out for. You never know what you're going to find when you open up that monograph or from whom.

I would also argue that ICC in general is a powerful organization. It's the code enforcers that have the final say, and that's on all codes, including IECC. Plus ICC cross across all disciplines.

Max Perilstein said...

As always great points and perspective. The reason I hold you in such high regard is you DO take the time to ask questions. That is a quality that can not be underestimated.
Thanks again for keeping me on my toes.