Sunday, July 14, 2019

Podcast Plus

I enjoy whole range of podcasts and our industry has a brand new one from the guys from Edify Studios.  Brad Walker and Brad Glauser of Edify do a great job with it and to date have had some very interesting guests and topics.  This week’s edition is close to my heart as it’s a special edition about Mercedes Benz Stadium and features Tom O’Malley of Clover Architectural, Court Reece of Oldcastle BuildingEnvelope.  They give a great inside story to the glass and glazing products on this amazing structure.  Well worth the watch/listen.  You can download in podcast form via Apple or Android or for an easy watch and listen- here it is on YouTube.

Elsewhere…

--  Remember only a few more days to go to get entered in the VIP Tour of Mercedes Benz Stadium.  So if you have not registered for GlassBuild yet, do it now to be eligible.  Aside from the awesome glass and glazing you’ll also see all the great pieces of the stadium including locker rooms and field!  This is a tremendous opportunity and experience!

--  The Dodge Momentum Index was up nicely for June and that surely calmed some nerves with the way things had been trending both with this index and the ABI.  We are still slower pace and performance wise than last year and there are still signs of soft times coming in the 2nd half of the year but we’ll take a positive report like this any time.

--  Loving a new list... top15 vacation spots in US and there’s some stunners on here… here’s top 10 though

10- Honolulu- Higher on list if you see my main man Lyle Shimazu or the great Earnest Thompson
9- Austin, TX- For the weird in you
8- Asheville, NC- I have never been.  Guess I need to!
7- Nashville, TN- Incredibly hot now- BEC there in 2020 proves it right?
6- Chicago, IL- To me this is overrated- Sorry my pals from the Windy City….
5- New York City- I can see it, so much to do etc.  So much energy.
4- Savannah, GA- I like it but is it really 4th best??
3- New Orleans, LA- Nope.  Not for me.
2- Santa Fe, NM- Wow- help me out anyone who’s gone- is this really that good?
1-Charleston, SC- Love it, great place… Is it #1 though???

But for me… how is San Diego not in top 10??  I’d make it #1 probably. 

Big 3 Interview
Eric Fortin, General Manager, Northwestern Glass Fab

I only recently got to meet Eric Fortin and immediately I said to myself “this would be a great interview” and sure enough it was.  As you can see below Eric has got it together!  I love that this is someone that was from outside the industry and has now come in and made a serious difference.  Talent like what Eric possesses is crucial for our well-being and growth as an industry and I look forward to getting to know him better and also seeing him at the various industry events!

I have to start with your time in the United States Army.  You were a Troop Commander with some serious responsibilities.  What was that time like for you and how often do you use the lessons and experiences gained there in your daily work at Northwestern Glass Fab?

I have to first give kudos to mentors. I met a very influential gentlemen during college who helped me understand what leadership is all about. He was the first real leader I had ever met. This gentlemen’s name is Mr. Wilbur Wolf III. Mr. Wolf helped me to determine that joining the Army as an active duty officer was the right thing for me to learn about myself, leadership and how to lead people. Once I was in the Army it was a dream of mine to one day lead a cavalry troop. Over the years I worked my tail off and positioned myself to make that dream come true. I was fortunate to be a troop commander for a unit that was resetting from a previous deployment to again deploy. I say fortunate because the timing was such that I took command of the unit in Colorado and immediately prepared to deploy. As the commander the other leaders and I trained, deployed and then returned the unit to Colorado. In my opinion, if you are going to lead soldiers, this is the perfect scenario and challenge. The responsibilities as a commander are significant. As a commander of a deployed unit, you are truly responsible for people’s lives.
My apologies, but before I respond to your question I have to again be appreciative to mentors who helped me take what I learned from the Army as a leader and to apply it to the business and manufacturing environment. I was extremely fortunate to be invited to be a part of an absolute world class company in the glass business. This company has a history of taking ex-military leaders and helping them make the transition to manufacturing. The experiences they provided helped me to establish a foundation of what “right looks like” in successful business organizations. Without two mentors who offered me this opportunity, I more than likely would not be in the glass industry. That company is Cardinal Glass and those two gentlemen are Dave Pinder and Mike Arntson. Like the military, I tap into my experiences with Dave and Mike at Cardinal every single day.
The largest lesson that I learned from my time in the military and that I apply daily is perspective. As stressful as some days can be, a tough day at work today isn’t really that bad. It could be always be worse. In general, everyone will go home to their friends and families at the end of each day. I also apply the lessons of patience, but decisiveness, to maintain flexibility because most things change and do not go the way you want or planned. Also, to let leaders lead. As often as I can I try to give my leaders my intent and then let them lead their teams. This allows them to be creative in accomplishing the goal.  Everyone learns a ton when leaders are given the freedom to own and accomplish an objective with their teams. Lastly, I learned about taking care of people. We are all in the people business. If you take care of people, they will take care of you.

Your company (Northwestern Glass Fab) could be considered a “start up” still with only being 3 years old.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of being so “new” to the marketplace?  I also ask this, as I know you have “start up” experience in your past, so this was not your first adventure.

            I want to start with how lucky I am to be a part of the Brin Glass companies. This is such a fantastic bunch of people. I truly have the very best boss in Bill Sullivan. Anyone who knows Bill understands what I mean when I say this. Northwestern Glass Fab as a part of Brin Glass has been around since 1912. Three years ago NWGF separated from the Brin Glass Company to once again be known simply as Northwestern Glass Fab, instead of Brin Northwestern. This meant moving to a new standalone location and to establish itself as a standalone profit and loss division. A lot of the changes made since I’ve joined the company were very much in order to start over. What used to work very well no longer works. We hit reset and I believe we are now postured for growth and another 100 years of success. I’m so very proud of my team during the past 16 months. Change and culture change is not easy. Our success is truly due to the team for having an open mind, patience and the will to fight through adversity.

Fun one… what is your all time favorite movie… or movies if you can’t just choose one and why? 

            I was a business and history major in college and I am kind of a space geek. With that, my favorite movies are Apollo 13 and the recent Apollo 11. I am always impressed with what it took to put humans in space and on the moon. It took fantastic teamwork, dedication and a constant fight against adversity. The people who accomplished these wonderful feats were so smart and committed. It always impresses me when I watch those movies. Before I die I hope to one day truly understand what a black hole truly is.

LINKS of the WEEK


It is amazing that she thought that this was a good idea.

Surviving Niagara Falls!

VIDEO of the WEEK

Has to be the video of the Edify Podcast mentioned above!  Check it out!



No comments: