Saturday, August 18, 2018

Net Zero Nice Job

I am big fan of zero net energy building and was pretty excited to see a quick profile on the Vans Headquarters.  I pay close attention to the way the glass and glazing is shown and utilized and this project does show us at our best.   The one thing not mentioned in this piece was who manufactured, fabricated, and installed the glazing.  If it was your company please let me know…. Would love to pass that along to my readers and give a deserving pat on the back!  Good stuff overall and we as an industry need to really keep pushing our involvement in projects like this!

Elsewhere…

--  GlassBuild America.  I know I am always promoting but I am too excited about it not to keep yapping away.  One of the bigger draws each year is the Glazing Executives Forum and this year the agenda is jam packed with excellent presentations.  Starting with a piece on safe handling of big glass (Hey big glass is the trend now, so getting insight on handling techniques is crucial) and leading to incredible expert presentations on Exit Planning, Recruiting, Getting Paid and Managing Cash Flow you have the opportunity to gather an insane amount of education.  Plus I’m moderating a panel with representatives from YKK AP, Guardian Glass, and Viracon- which will provide visibility into the supply chain world.  Seriously a great event… sign up today!!

--  Speaking of signing up- there is still plenty of time- so get that registration done and accommodations completed.   Time is flying and it will be Labor Day before you know it- so don’t delay.

--  Glass Magazine review time… the August issue, which feels like an old fashioned phone book checking in at almost 150 pages.  A majority of this edition is a GlassBuild America preview and that has obvious value to the thousands prepping to attend.  Other items to note, a trends piece looking back at what drove the market in 2017, and of course must read info from the great Dr. Tom Culp on the energy codes coming down the pike.  For me though, the best piece was from the excellent legal mind of Matt Johnson.  Matt is always brilliant in his writings and this piece on marketing tactics is very timely given the biggest show in North America just a month away.  So if you have not checked it out yet- please do so!

--  Ad of the month… really tough call because there were TONS of them to choose from.  So I am noting two of them… first for a small and smart ad is Yorglas.  Really cool ad that I could not stop looking at thanks to the “legend” theme.   The other one is for the two pager from IUPAT.  The left side of the ad stopped me cold and then led me to dig into the text on the right.  Super effective use of the space.  Kudos to the design minds behind both efforts!

--  It’s been a while since I did a book review…  mostly because I am so far behind on my reading.  “Conspiracy” by Ryan Holiday is about the big court case between Hulk Hogan and the website Gawker.com.  The book was an extremely deep dive into the case and the characters involved.  If you followed that case at all, the book is absolutely worth it.  If you love a case of revenge, this one will work too.  Great read overall.

--  Last this week… no interview for this post- I am hoping to do two more and then shut it down until next summer.  The interview series has really been tremendous for me and the feedback I have gotten has really blown me away.  Thank you to all of the awesome people who did this with me so far and to all of you who have been reading and sharing your thoughts.  I am excited to continue this next year!

LINKS of the WEEK

Every year there’s a “great mugshot” story.  Here’s 2018’s version

Ramen Noodles stolen… 100k Worth!!

4-year-old kid smarter than the caregiver who unbelievably left him in a hot van for an hour.

VIDEO of the WEEK

The great Steve Perry is back singing again!  The former lead singer of Journey has a new single out and its pretty solid… I’m a big Journey/Perry fan so this was good news!


No comments: