Sunday, November 05, 2017

Bring on the Forecasts

This past week the first of the 2018 construction economic forecasts were released and there was tepid optimism with regards to the non-residential side of the business.  Basically some of the analysts are pushing a small increase on the commercial side, not exceeding 5% overall.  The residential side though has some more bullish predictions with a potential for double-digit growth in ‘18.  Now keep in mind this is just one of many forecasts that will be coming out in the next 8-12 weeks, so a lot can and will change.  I like to take it all in and then see what I can come up with a consensus.  Plus my favorite ones are not out yet, so that’s a big one for me to wait on.  So sit tight as numbers are going to be coming out constantly with results probably all over the board.  In any case with regards to this release and its small growth, I will take a positive forecast any way it is delivered!

Elsewhere…

--  Continued from last week and my review of the most recent Glass Magazine…. The ad of the month… I do try and spread the kudos around but if a company who’s gotten my recognition before comes out with a new ad and its worthy, I have to give it props.  So the winner for this issue is Guardian Glass with their “Fall in Love” ad that carries on the video campaign they debuted at GlassBuild.  Loved the ad and because I was a big fan of the video I thought it was sharp they continued the campaign in print.  Well done!

--  The newest Apple iPhone is out and this review was a blistering putdown of the product.  I must say the author brought up a ton of good points- worth the read if you are looking to purchase. 

--  Ok construction geeks- what are 5 major changes coming to the jobsite?  Good article here and personally I am really into what the next generation tools would be.  With the on-going struggle for a solid (or in some cases any) work force, advancing the tools to potentially do more and do it more efficiently is huge.

--  Greenbuild is this week.  I am not a fan and I’ve made that known several times over the years.  The show this year may be decent because it’s in Boston (great city) and combined with the ABX event but in the end I don’t expect exhibitors to find any great success unfortunately.

--  Normally if I see a quote like this one I worry:

             “…Midtown doesn’t need any more glass”


--  Last this week… it is Glass Industry MVP season… yes my yearly award is now here so soon you’ll have your nominees and then the winner (who’s life will dramatically change for the better-lol) will be announced in my last scheduled post of 2017 in December.  Once again there’s a ton of great candidates and like I do with the ad reviews I try not to repeat with people nominated, but this year I may have to….

LINKS of the WEEK

We used to be able to do a lot of things as kids… but riding in a plastic pool on the roof a car was not one of them.

Score one for the Canadian beavers!

There are a handful of issues with this story of a man locked in a beer cooler all night…

VIDEO of the WEEK

Some months these blooper reels are great.  This month its so so… but that also may be my quirky sense of humor at play.  Judge for yourself…


No comments: