Sunday, October 15, 2017

A Must See Site

This past week a very cool microsite was released featuring a ton of content from GlassBuild America.  The site has 12 Express Learning presentations on it along with videos from the floor and forums.  The Glazing Executive Forum video includes the economic forecast piece as well as state of the industry and 25 years of Top 50 Glaziers.  Plus this site has the keynote address from Cam Marston too.  This really is an incredible treasure of information and insight.  So if you were at the show but couldn’t see everything, you can now catch it and if the weather kept you away, now you can see some of what you missed.  Check it out! 

Elsewhere…

--  As if we don’t have enough to worry about with supply and logistics comes an article on a shortage of sand.  Unreal.   We’ll have to monitor this one because this could affect glass making on global basis.

--  While I was off from blogging last week the industry had a great addition… Lindsay and Dustin Price welcomed baby Alex Olivia to the world.  A beautiful baby girl born to seriously awesome parents!  I am so happy for Lindsay and Dustin and wish them the best… enjoy it all now you two, blink and Alex will be off to college.

--  I was able to attend the Glass + Metal Symposium and while there I was taken aback (positively) by a video played by Jeff Rigot of Viracon.  It was a very well done piece talking about glass usage and the Viracon employee used throughout the video was none other than Cameron Scripture!  I have been telling people forever that Cameron has movie star good looks and obviously the producers of the video agreed!  I really now can say I knew him before he went “Hollywood.”

--  The latest Dodge Momentum Index was down again last month, which continues a mini negative trend on that metric.  The analysts are not ready to call this a downturn in the marketplace but it does bear watching.  The market right now does have some soft spots to it for sure.  I am very curious to see if this gets revised up or where next month comes in as traditionally October in many parts of the US is a very big month with a lot of focus on getting jobs going before the days of winter snow arrive.

--  I think any time I see a link on the new Apple Campus and it shows glass I am all in.  This one is onethat stopped me in my tracks.  Love seeing the way glass is used here and throughout.

--  I did see the sad news of David Stark passing away.  I had a few interactions with David as he was developing products in the Vacuum IG world.  He surely brought and an amazing energy and passion to that space and his efforts and insights will be missed.

--  Last this week… Two new mixed-use skyscrapers are coming toMiami.  So a question to my friends down there- have we reached the point of massive saturation?  I am stunned that these places can go up and units sold.  The architecture and glass will be pretty cool on the one described and shown in this story.

LINKS of the WEEK

As a road warrior I must say I am impressed… and I also will say I have never seen anything like this!

Who was Mr. Monopoly behind the Equifax guys during Senate hearings.  This was good!  And by the way is Equifax a mess or what?

Can someone explain to me how a family could forget a 3 year old in a maze and not call til the next morning?  Gotta be more to this…

VIDEO of the WEEK

It is always awesome to hear from Steve Bouchard of Glass Distributors… and this time he sent me a great link for the video of the week!  It’s an older video but it holds up well as the Manning brothers are hilarious…




No comments: