Sunday, December 04, 2016

2016 MVP Runners Up

OK, so it’s time to talk Industry MVP.  A few items before I start with the 2016 process.  In my last post on this I screwed up.  I forgot a past winner-which was CR Laurence in 2014.  I’m getting old and after 11 years of weekly posts, I’m not as sharp as I used to be! 
So before I unveil the runners up for this year, I want to recall all of the previous winners and runners up.  The reason being is pretty much all of these people and companies are still very active and important in our world.  And I am also trying not to repeat anyone- though it’s getting tough as some of the past runners up, could be MVP most years, so for the future I may have to rethink.  Anyway let’s look back before we go forward.

2013
Tracy Rogers- Winner
Runners up:
Tom Culp
Mark Silverberg
Ed Zaucha
Mic Patterson
Oliver Stepe
Dr. Helen Sanders
Scott Thomsen

2014
CR Laurence- Winner
Runners up:
John Wheaton
Rick Wright
Tom O’Malley
Bernard Lax

2015
Jon Kimberlain- Winner
Runners up:
Garret Henson
Walker Glass
Dip Tech
Kris Vockler

On to 2016… this group of people and companies stepped up.  Represented their organizations and the industry with class and passion.  My judging parameters as always:

  • Overall Influence in 2016 on the industry
  • Technology/Innovation
  • Industry Support/Education
  • My opinion and knowledge of them and what they do. In the end it’s my call and so I own it. 

Mike Albert- S Albert Glass
Not only has Mike’s company been a long time fixture in the glass and glazing world but also he’s been a leading force at the National Glass Association as a board member and most recently Chairman.  The NGA is surging now, and Mike absolutely had a hand in that and his overall care and passion for the industry are always on display.

The team of Thom Zaremba and Urmilla Jokhu-Sowell
I’m going with this duo- though it’s normally a trio with Dr. Tom Culp as the third.  But Tom was a runner up in 2013, so he’s on the list already.  Simply said what Thom and Urmilla do for this industry is so crucial and so important I am not sure I can give it enough emphasis. They represent our industry at code levels all over the world and navigate some choppy waters.  It’s hard to do the “right” thing when their may be competing levels of “right’- yet these two do it and do it well and with respect.   Without question they have helped raise the level of respect our industry gets from other industries thanks to their professional and classy manner.

SAPA
The only company to make the list this year.  I love that they take an aggressive approach to education with their Architectural Profile Academy and Shapes. Al website.  Smart to teach and grow the audience the right way and these things take time and resources so kudos to them for that.  Plus a nod to Mark Spencer of SAPA who is a positive fixture at every event and one that carries the company mission out perfectly.

All listed above are worthy to win this year but there was one person who rose above to win it and next week on my final post of the year- I’ll reveal it.

That’s it for this week- next week, not only will I have the winner but also a look at a great new website from a classic industry company, annealed glass in the movies, more AIA/Trump press release fall out and much more!

LINKS of the WEEK

--  Hawaii.  Snow.  Two words rarely used together in my mind- yet it happened…. Wow.

--  Another reason most of us hate congress.  This was actually an issue.  Ugh

--  Football is such a scary and brutal sport.  Nice of JJ Watt to do this- and I’ll even refrain from doing a “uhhh Hey JJ” comment about it.  (If you are “Pardon My Take” listener- you’ll get it)

VIDEO of the WEEK

I really enjoy the Foot Locker Commercials.  “Week of Greatness”
Here’s the top 10 from 2016. 


No comments: