Wednesday, April 07, 2010

What a combo!

(Shorter than normal post ahead....)

What happens when you have two of the things that frustrate you the most meeting and teaming up? Your brain explodes…. And mine did just that with the news this week that sponsoring the upcoming NFRC meeting will be China Southern Glass! Yep the NFRC and China… together… a true axis of evil in my mind…. Unreal. The whole sponsorship of the NFRC meetings is severely hokey as it is, but now getting the Chinese involved is just pure insanity. Yep ladies and gentleman the Titanic now has the endorsement of China….

Elsewhere…

-- Last summer I predicted $4 per gallon gas… and was wrong (THANKFULLY)… this summer though $4 per gallon gas is a mortal lock… its over $3 in parts of the US and it’s not even prime travel season yet….

-- I picked DUKE to win the NCAA…. And was right for the first time since 1986. (Yes I keep track, 1986 was the last year I picked an NCAA tourney winner) The blind squirrel finds the acorn here…

-- Also speaking of sports… opening day in baseball this week… love it…. So my predictions since I am on a roll… The Phillies win the series in a rematch against the Yanks…

-- I write every week on people and companies who I think “get it” during these times. Companies that make moves to improve instead of turtle. This week’s example is General Glass. The news that they are creating a new architecture and design department is brilliant. Jumping on the trends and milking them… very shrewd.

-- Saw the piece on line that shows construction spending is at an 8 year low… No doubt things are ugly but I stand behind my comments that companies that are picking their spots, bringing in new people, and expanding their presence and offerings are the ones that will escape the mess first and be better for it.

-- Last, the rumor has it that when Viracon’s Don McCann spoke at MIT he was awarded a honorary doctorate. So I guess we all need to address him as Dr. McCann….

Off to the Links!

The “Link Chick” as always is scouring the interwebs for your enjoyment….

-- Look out if you live in the upper Midwest and Rocky Mountain areas… a mass infestation of grasshoppers is on the menu for this summer… yikes.

-- Classic dumb luck story... baseball player hits a foul ball into the stands… and who does that foul ball hit? His Mom…. Oh no…

-- I’m a huge sportsfan as you know but not this huge… this couple named their kid after their favorite college… hmmm you know maybe I shoulda named my son Bobcat…

Video of the Week

Every year after the NCAA Tourney is done, CBS does a video montage called “One Shining Moment” and usually its awesome… this year was decent, but not as great as it used to be. In any case it does boil the tourney down to 3 fun minutes of video…

No comments: