Wednesday, March 24, 2010

It's about time for BEC

BEC is just a few days away now and it surely will be an interesting time. In the past few years this conference had explosive growth but I’ll be curious to see how the weak economy and overall skittishness in our industry affects the turnout. The people that do attend will still be treated to a first rate show and an opportunity to hobnob with the industries best and brightest… and no I don’t include myself in the equation either. Anyway we’ll see what the pulse is and report back in next weeks post…

Elsewhere…

-- Gonna be odd to sit in the audience at BEC, haven’t done that in a few years that’s for sure. I am pumped for my friend Henry Taylor of Kawneer. He is going to do an awesome job.

-- Biggest miss of having to be in Vegas? Missing Wrestlemania with my son. Its an annual thing, but we’ll fire up the TIVO and we'll watch when I get back.. so no spoiling the results eh...

-- What’s this health care stuff I just heard about? Man wish there was some coverage about it… seriously though do you get the feeling that this thing got done to get done and not to fix anything?

-- I saw the blurb that Viracon’s Don McCann spoke at MIT over the weekend. Congrats on that honor Don… and I have to say that if Don did ½ as well there as he did when I was with him on a trip to the DOE, he probably slayed the crowd. That day at DOE where Don, coolly and calmly educated the DOE folks on the reality of the glass business was nothing short of epic.

-- March Madness… how about the Ohio Bobcats? Never thought they could beat Georgetown…. Great run… and amazingly my final four is still alive… not sure when the last time I had all 4 of my teams still alive at the sweet 16….

-- Congrats to Vitro on their recent round of hires. No doubt they brought in some significant players. Adding someone of the talent of Cathey Finney was a real coup for sure. And on that same note, Guardian added a tremendous guy in Jay Phillips. I’ve always been a big fan of Jay’s- he is truly a class act and I am happy for him.

-- Last, the ABI went up! Just imagine if lending would come anywhere close to normal and things could really bounce back dramatically. Next month will be interesting to see if this was a start to a positive trend or an aberration.

Off to the LINKS…

The Link Chick was late this week, which was unlike her… I think the last time she missed an assignment was 1983. Anyway, she brings some good stuff as usual…

-- Is this piece on the financial health of Greece good info or gold ole fashion fear mongering? You be the judge.

-- This teacher is eating a school lunch every day to prove a point… and she’s keeping a blog on it… she is a glutton for punishment…

-- And this one from me… Arnold Palmer with great advice for Tiger Woods… meet the press dead on and get it over with…(and evidently he now will be meeting the media on April 5th)

Video of the Week

March Madness rules folks and the best ending this past week in my opinion was Michigan State beating Maryland… 30 seconds, 3 possible game winning shots… no time outs… just daggers flying everywhere…awesome stuff… here it is…

No comments: