Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Brutal Banks

I was heartened by the reaction from last week’s blog and the top story of the banks and frozen credit. It’s nice to see it wasn’t just me. However the scary things keep propping up- whether it’s the report of a Bear market ahead or even a full scale depression, the economic news has not been cherry. So the media’s lack of focus on this and the governments lack of action or discussion is pretty frightening. Then again those of you who know me, know that I am a natural reactionary and prone to over-hype, so maybe this is much ado…

Elsewhere…

-- From all accounts last week’s GANA Fall conference went very well. Congrats to all who put it together.

-- I was one of the thousands that watched the webcast on the last day and was impressed by the line-up of speakers and their messages. Of course the highlite for me was the presentation by John Lewis of NFRC… and I came away impressed. As some of you know who have been following this adventure, John came to NFRC after a stint at AAMA, so he was keenly aware of all of the shenanigans that have gone on. I think that and the fact that John is just a good man, have given some perspective and open-ness that the NFRC has never had before. John’s presentation at Fall Conference was very good overall- especially in tone. He did not talk down to the audience or accuse them of being cheaters. He surely did not call them rats or tell them the reason NFRC is doing this is because they can’t be trusted. (As past NFRC speakers have)He took the high road and probably came away with more people wanting to help than has happened in the last 5+ years of this debacle combined.


-- Basically if John Lewis was in charge in 2004, this program may already be done and good. Instead he has to do massive goodwill to make up for the lack of transparency or care that was perpetrated by his predecessors. There is no doubt there are still warts and roadblocks with this program, but at least it’s in hands that I think are trustable. The problem still lies within the need of the program itself, how it was put together and who ultimately benefits. As long as the labs and inspection agencies can gain financially while all of us have to pay for a program no one actually called for, that’s going to be a problem.

-- Ok moving on… as ½ my audience just clicked away….

-- Still a relatively quiet Hurricane season… but got this very interesting article from Dr. Culp… can Bill Gates stop hurricanes? (No Bill.. No, just Hurricane Impact Glass and Metal can!!!)

-- One of the things that I have endorsed in the past is learning during the slow times. Education and advancement of such is a big item to me. So much so that I am personally involved with the Glass Management Institute. I believe in what this program has to offer overall and the instructors that have signed on are top notch (and heck of a lot better than me!). Anyway, learn or send your folks to learn- get ahead of the curve. Click here for more info.

-- A couple of weeks ago USGNN did a note on the scams that are continuing through the industry. It really has become amazing that these scammers continue to try. I get 2-3 e-mails a day from these shysters. It’s really a sad thing that is happening here, nothing worse than praying on vulnerable people.


-- Football kicks off Thursday night with the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers… so time to make my predictions for this year… as much as I love the Steelers, I am not taking them to repeat… just too tough… so your new champs will be….. and it hurts to type this… the New England Patriots… ugh. Hopefully this prediction goes as well as my $4 for gallon of gas by July 09…


-- Last, saw that there’s a new group out there… the Global Glass Conservation Alliance…. The odd thing was, as far as I could follow from their press release, The National Windshield Repair Association… doesn’t the new makeover seem like a jump? Anyway I am going to research before I endorse or scorch, but on first blush I am leery.


Off to the LINKS….


The “Link Chick” checks in a bevy of goodness….


-- From Power Ranger to MMA fighter? Look out for Tommy Oliver… (and by the way for you Power Ranger fans, Dino Thunder was the best…)

-- The Top 10 Twitter feeds you should follow…. According to CNN… which makes me want to do my own list… and I think I will… look for it next week!

-- And speaking of “Twitter” it’s now a word in the dictionary… that and 263 other new words…


Video of the Week…


A few weeks ago I ran a video with a TV Reporter having a mishap with a skateboard. Well from the same site, another “Failure” but this one is maybe more brutal… the proposal… in public… oh my…


No comments: