Friday, August 25, 2006

Quiet on NFRC but loud on....

Sorry for the delay, I was advised that I needed to be quiet on the NFRC issue for a while and well I guess I forgot I can write about other things while that situation plays out.

Anyway, did you catch the acquisition of Antamex by Oldcastle?

Interesting as Antamex is one of North America's largest glaziers. They are a powerhouse on the install side and now Oldcastle can install right along with their customers!

I think right now since everyone is so busy, no one will care that their competitor is selling them product- but at the first downturn, lookout.

Then again Harmon and Viracon have been "out" for years and it doesn't matter. I don't know how that plays. One time, back in the good ole days of the one and only Perilstein Distributing, we had a driver named Billy Eichler. Billy one day was asked by a glazier to "help" because they had some guys off. So Billy being the guy he is, hopped right in and "helped" this customer install some glass. Well don't ya know it but one of that customers competitors happened to drive up on the job and saw our guy Billy humping units into the holes.

Well all hell broke loose.

But I guess actually installing is worse than sharing quotes and trying to steer business to sister companies?

Last note-

I wanted to give props to a former co worker- Bruce Mikels of BDM was one of the featured folks in the latest edition of US Glass as one of the nations best manufacturers reps. He simply deserves all of the kudos he can get. He is not a sit at home guy who waits for the phone to ring- he is a hustler who built a great business and I am proud to say I worked with him at one time.

I know Bruce is a reader of this blog so that makes him great too! But in any case, Bruce is proof that a manufacturers rep can impact your business in a positive manner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Max,

It's interesting that you were advised to lay off the NFRC. Hmm
Even though everyone on our end of the industry feels the same. It's as if we're being lead down a path like as if we're blind person, but our eyes are wide open!