Sunday, February 19, 2023

Industry News and Notes

So this week it’s a true “grab bag” of stuff to cover with news happening from Toronto to Texas and pretty much everywhere in between… So let’s get it all out!

 

--  First up- great to see the new Board of Directors installed at the Texas Glass Association.  Tremendous organization and top-notch people leading the way.  Congrats to Kyle Sharp of Sharp Glass - President, Jody Hilton of Floyds Glass Company - Vice President, Brian Risinger of Country Glass & Mirror Inc - Treasurer, and Scott Theut of Theaut Glass Company -  Secretary.  I have had the extreme honor of getting to know Kyle and Brian over the years and they do it the right way as I am sure Jody and Scott do as well.  The TGA is in great hands, and I look forward to seeing them at all TEXpo in May!

 

--  This week’s note on BEC focuses on a couple more sessions… the Facades of the Future session with Dan Sutton of Vitro, Matt Price representing Deceuninck and moderated Adrian Lowenstein of Skyline will be very strong.  Good guys talking about products that are here today but will absolutely disrupt the space going forward. This is huge for truly understanding where our space is and can go.  Great speakers too!  Also a big one is “We Will Overcome” where we are lucky enough to have Matt Kamper of Woodbridge, Dave Ferret of Bagatelos, and Coleman Jones of Pioneer Cladding talking about instances where they had to work through obstacles (that we all usually encounter) to be successful on projects.  Sessions like this is how we learn and I am grateful for these guys for sharing.  So will you be joining the hundreds and hundreds of glazing pros in Vegas?  Still time- CLICK HERE and get registered!

 

--  Another favorite event of mine is coming up quick.  Top Glass in Toronto is on tap for April 19th.  I had the awesome thrill of speaking there last year and I am excited to attend this year to hear the fresh mix of presenters on tap.  More information can be found HERE

 

--  The next Architectural Billings Index is due this Wednesday.  The last 3 months have been under the break-even mark of 50 posting scores of 47.7, 46.6, and 47.5.  Most analysts are expecting this lull we are currently in to last 8 months, so if we are down again (and I expect that) then we are pretty much at the halfway point. Will be interesting to see what comes out but also what happens under the new business inquiries. Will that number remain on its current flat line, (that is above average) or move?  More on this on my post next week.

 

--  Did you see the list of “Top 10 Metro Areas for Commercial Building Starts” that was recently released? Good quick read here with some helpful insight.  No surprise for me except for the fact that Southern California was not in the Top 10 and neither was Nashville.  

 

--  Got to learn about a new service called “Service Station” and I think this one is worth diving into if you are glass and glazing shop. Basically, Service Station is a glass-specific call answering and estimating service that takes your calls and turns them into orders- and the key is this isn’t just some off the shelf answering service, they are using glass professionals who will be trained to understand your specific business and get on the same page as you.  In our labor tight world, this could be a nice breakthrough. I was impressed by what I saw and learned- Check it out HERE.

 

--  Another Super Bowl in the books and yes for the 3rd straight year I did predict the winner at the start of the playoffs.  This blind squirrel keeps finding those acorns!  LOL.  Anyway, now to what everyone truly cared about- the commercials! As I noted last week, I had heard that Breaking Bad would be involved and their commercial did not disappoint.  My favorites were the two with dogs in them (both had me emotional) and I really liked the Ben Affleck Dunkin Donuts commercial.  Simple and funny- especially when he tells JLo in the drive through “Stop it you’re embarrassing me in front of my friends” Perfect.  In the middle for me, the Workday “Rock Star” commercial was cool but sorry Paul Stanley of Kiss, I will still use that term for people I am a fan of. In the bad section- first can someone tell me what M&M’s was doing?  What a mess.  Obviously when I made my lifestyle change in 2019 and didn’t eat them by the gallon anymore, it's caused some bad decision-making right?  And last, I chuckled over Weathertech making a big deal over having a manufacturing plant in America.  They made it sound like it’s very rare.  Obviously, those folks haven’t been to our industry where we are manufacturing glass and curtain wall and windows all over the place and every day of the week- and new places and expansions continue to happen.  So nice try folks but that’s a nope from me.  Overall, I thought the commercials were better than last year so there’s hope going forward! Also big to notice after a ton a crypto commercials last year- none this year!

 

LINKS of the WEEK

Happy Birthday to the greatest Basketball player of all time… who continues to do GOAT like things!

 

A pig getting a ride home in the cold.  Yeah.  Click it because the picture is comical. 

 

A-I is here and it’s now getting a bit salty in some places

 

PROJECT of the WEEK

Love this one as it’s in my backyard of Auburn Hills, Michigan (former home of the Palace, the nicest sporting arena ever built, and now gone long before its time).  The glazier on this was Crystal Glass and they posted this pic via the GC on this- Cunningham-Limp.   The project was noted as GPJ Project Worldwide.  Beautiful overall- no clue on who did the glass or metal but this all looks excellent and shows off our core products nicely!  Congrats to all involved!!  (and if that glass or metal was yours speak up in the comments on LinkedIn!)



No comments: