Sunday, May 02, 2021

Supply Chain Scaries

Every few months a complete supply chain update for the building product world is published by Gilbane.  It is an excellent resource and for the longest time glass was always listed as “Stable” in the three main categories of price, inventories, and deliveries.  That is no longer the case as in the latest release glass is now noted as “increasing” under the price category, and “stabilizing” under the other two.  I took that and know that it means those areas are volatile but nowhere near settled.  So as I always preach on here, there is no time like the present to work on your supply chain, communicate at the highest levels (both up and down the chain) and be proactive overall. No one said 2021 would be easy and the bumpy roads continue.

 

Elsewhere…

 

--  An absolutely brutal week with a few significant people passing away from our industry and ones that really hit close to home for me.  Lynn Ziesche, long time industry leader, major player in the Pittsburgh glass and glazing market at Golomb Glass passed.  Tremendous man and leader and he also delivered a few kids into major roles into our world including my pal Jeff Ziesche who is now a leading manufacturers rep.  Lynn’s impact in our industry will be felt for a long time thanks to what he did in the Steel City market and then passed on to his kids.  My condolences to Jeff and Jim and the rest of class acts in the Ziesche world. 

 

--  Then on Friday the news that my former co-worker and friend Erik Stumpf had passed away.  Erik was a larger-than-life guy, he brought a ton of passion to the industry and cared deeply for his customer base.  He was also a great one to work with- he could be the “bull in the china shop” but that was his driven nature, and everyone respected it and loved the passion he brought every day.  I had just written about him recently on here when he added a new line with his work at deGorter and he was so fired up about it.  His passing was sudden and an absolute gut-punch for me.  Great guy and a better friend to me than I deserved.  My heart goes out to his family and particularly his kids who he always was incredibly proud of.  Just a tough one to take for sure. Rest in Peace my friend. 

 

--  Thank you to everyone who reached out on the vaccination approach I mentioned last week.  The majority of people who connected with me on it are doing some sort of incentive approach- gift cards were the leading thing there.  But I did have a few folks who did say they are leaving it up to their employees on what they are doing.  There is still only one organization I heard about making it mandatory, but again my results are far from scientific.  In any case I am just on team “get us back to normal in any way you can” so I’m up for anything.  Thank you again to all who connected- I truly appreciate it!

 

--  I was asked this week if there were any glass industry related charities for people impacted by the pandemic.  I said I was not aware of any- but I wanted to put it out there to the masses.  Is there anything happening on this?  If so, please drop me a line with the details so I can share. Thanks!

 

--  Last this week… some good news.  Congrats to the team at SageGlass for picking up the world’s largest “smart glass” project.  200,000 sq ft of glass is a heck of an effort and a good piece of news in a segment that continues to try and innovate.  Props to Namrata Vora and her team for pulling this one off! Can’t wait to see pictures of it when it is done!

 

LINKS of the WEEK

 

--  Supply chain issues aren’t just in the building product space. Cars are affected- especially rentals and some folks are trying to be creative…

 

--  Need to check to see if Josh Wignall of Quaker Windows and Doors was in this “Battle of Joshes” – Maybe Josh Lowe of the NGA was in it, or Glass 3 Enterprises Josh Aknin… (i could go on and on here... LOL)

 

--  I may live here but I have never seen this or done this…. Wild!

 

PROJECT of the WEEK 

 

This week we go to “Lex Vegas” aka Lexington, KY and this knockout by EFCO on the Valvoline Headquarters.  Absolute “Wow” here from an amazing design to how great our product can look on it!  Just an awesome style and product choice play here.  Tremendous work everyone!  According to EFCO the Architect was Solomon Cordwell Buenz and glazier Akins Company.  Photo via EFCO and Dave Burk.  Congrats to all- keep up the great work!!





No comments: