Saturday, December 07, 2019

MY list of Best Buildings of 2019

The year end always brings “best of” lists and in our world there are usually best building and project lists usually put out by Architectural trade magazines.  So I went in search of those articles and found a few and have to say I’m pretty bummed on the selections that some of the pubs made for “best” of the year.  It was almost like they should name it “craziest” design of the year vs. best.  So instead of those lists here’s my top 5 buildings (no order) of the year!  (And I am assuming these all were completed in 2019- but this surely is not a “formal” contest- though I am seriously tempted to start one!)

181 Fremont from Hartung Glass and Vitro – beautiful building- classic!

NDIS Building from Glassworks Australia and Pleotint Suntuitive- Jaw dropping use of glass and frit. 

SAP HQ in Frankfurt from Guardian Glass- unique and the glass looks fabulous

Maurice Richard Arena in Montreal- Walker Glass- Love the cool look of the etch look- just stops you in your tracks


Federal Office Building in Miramar, FL by Viracon- So much to look at here and all stunning. 


Yes... its obvious I like buildings with glass and these all do a great job utilizing it!

I’m sure I am missing others and if I catch them I’ll post next week on my last blog of the year!

Elsewhere…

--  Next week I will crown the 2019 Glass Industry MVP and also name the runners up.  Incredible candidates this year and thanks to all who reached out to nominate.. 

--  Speaking of MVP… congrats to past MVP Tracy Rogers on his new position at Consolidated Glass Holdings. That was exciting to see and now maybe I can get Tracy to start reading this blog once in a while… 

--  Quick economic update… the latest webinar that I took in was from FMI and they too followed some of the same methodology that others this fall have… with the slow down coming soon in our segment but clearing into mid next year.  They did show positive health overall on the non-residential side but their residential forecast was ugly.  So that may not be good news for the commercial interest side in 2021/2022. We will see.  The one thing they mentioned that others did not play up is the US Presidential election and what the offshoot of that may be…. 

--  One of my all-time favorite speakers is Mike Burk.  He is responsible for one of the most memorable speeches very given at BEC and every time out he never disappoints.  So I’m excited he’ll be doing the next “Thirsty Thursday” this week. Mike’s handling “Preventing Scratches and Edge Damage” on 12/12 at 1PM ET.  Click here and sign up now. 

--  Really excited about the upcoming resources from the NGA.  Check these topics out… crucial subjects getting covered here.  
·     Heavy Glass Door Design Guide, 20th anniversary edition 
·     Top 10 Items Commonly Missing from Fenestration System Shop Drawings 
·     Safety Guidelines for Deglazing Structural Silicone 
·     Design Considerations for Use of Sealants/Adhesives with Coated Glass and Adhesives Compatibility 
·     New abbreviated Thermal Stress in Heat-Treated Spandrel 
·     Marking and Labeling 
·     Protective Glazing 101 AIA presentation 

--  I saw on social media that my pal Andrew Haring of the NGA had a tour of the new football stadium in LA. That place will be epic and I was jealous he got some first-hand visibility of that structure.  Speaking of new stadiums and tours, I am sincerely hoping that I’ll get to see the Vegas stadium when GlassBuild comes to town in the fall.  Love seeing how these mammoth projects come together!

--  Last this week and also on the sports end- I saw that Steve Cohen is buying the New York Mets.  It has to be the Steve Cohen at Vitro who is a friend of mine right?  Steve if it’s you, I am ready to go to work for the Mets… Assistant to the assistant GM? That’s all me.  Steve.. call me… 

LINKS of the WEEK

Great aquarium if you ever get the chance to go and this is super cool! Eel Power!

Still working at the tender age of 101!  As the friend who shared this with me said and I agree “I hope she’s working because she wants to… not because she has to!”

You may have seen this in the news last week- still love it- fans getting stuck in the hedges celebrating a football win…

VIDEO of the WEEK

The hot marketing news was the Peleton commercial where the exercise bike helps a person go from a skinny 116 pounds to a skinner 112.  The mocking has been amazing and spoofs everywhere… no better than this one!    (Note- some rough language in here to capture the emotion of it all…)



Original commercial if you have never seen it is here
https://youtu.be/pShKu2icEYw

No comments: