Saturday, September 01, 2012

Number Two!


Pretty amazing news that could be looked at as either good or bad as it pertains to our industry.  I was sent an article (thank you CW) about the “Best Job Opportunities of the Future” and do you know what ranked 2nd?  And no it wasn’t the glorious gig of being a marketing consultant/blogger…. it was being a GLAZIER!  This is an amazing recognition for our industry because I never in my wildest dreams would think anyone outside our little world would notice us.  So that is the good, we exist in the conscience of the world!  The bad news of this is to make this list, there has to be “opportunity” and thanks to the difficulty of the job, there are openings.
The other rough thing is something that many in our world are aware of, we have severe lack of depth and so this article can also be taken as we have a shortage of capable people both know and in the future that can fill the spots. 

Elsewhere…

--  I was very saddened to hear about the passing of Al Balik last week.  Though I only had the extreme honor of meeting Al in person once, I have known and worked with members of his family for virtually my entire glass career.  Great folks and this is a tough loss.  I do remember my talk with Al very clearly though, it was about a year ago, and we had a spirited discussion about decorative glass and the trends out there.  What struck me was Al, even though he was in his mid 80’s, was busting out ideas and concepts that were extremely cutting edge- there was no “old school” approach at all, he was talking cutting edge.  Blew me away.  So no doubt his influence will be missed at GGI and the folks they serve, and my condolences to his son Richard and the entire Balik family.

--  GlassBuild now is a week away.  I am so thrilled about how everything has come together for the show and the events surrounding it.  There is electricity about this event, and the folks attending are going to benefit greatly from top-notch exhibits, innovation, education, and networking.  Just so pumped.  My post next week will be from the show floor and through the show I’ll have blogs each night recapping the event.

--  The NFL kicks off this week and I know my loyal readers want to know whom I am picking… mostly because they’ll pick opposite.  (And those going to Vegas for the show I am sure will be betting on it!)  So here goes… your Super Bowl will be Baltimore vs. Chicago.  Other playoff teams- AFC- New England, Denver, Houston, Tennessee, and the Steelers.  NFC- Dallas, Green Bay, Atlanta, Seattle, and San Fran.  Prediction to bet on… The Dolphins will not win a game this year.  I hate that for my pal Manny, but that team is brutally bad.

--  Speaking of winning, Ohio beats Penn State, my pal and fellow alumnus Rodger Ruff of AGC predicted it and I did not listen. (Shocking right, I took Penn State) Now Ohio has a tough task ahead when it has to face New Mexico State, the alma mater of the very influential Viracon VP Garret Henson next week… wonder if Garret will be giving the pre game pep talk as I know he's held in high regard by that team.

--  Shorter than normal post this week… believe me we’ll make up for it over the next few weeks for sure…

LINKS of the WEEK

--  Another interesting article on Social Media and the way companies are dealing with it.

--  Excellent and fun piece on odd movie credits

--  The leaked Apple training manual

VIDEO of the WEEK

If you have not seen this wild “running the wrong way” play,  check it out.  Just amazing how 22 guys on the field got all turned around.

No comments: